IPA with no early addition hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I'm planning to brew an IPA with no early hop additions. I will be adding the hops at 10, 5, flameout and hop tea (dry hop substitute). With the 4 different hops I'm using (totaling 1lb) I should have roughly 68 IBUs from the late additions.

My thinking is I'll get as much flavor and aroma as possible this way. My hope is that the bitterness won't be unpleasant since it may not be totally clean.

Anyone tried this before?

Here's the recipe:

Shred's Late Addition IPA
5.5 Gallon Batch
7.0% ABV
68 IBUs

12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Zythos [10.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min

12.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) - Boil 10 min
0.25 tsp Super Moss - Boil 10.0 min

1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Zythos [10.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min

1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Zythos [10.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min

1.5 pkg Nottingham Yeast

1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Hop Tea
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Hop Tea
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Hop Tea
1.00 oz Zythos [10.90 %] - Hop Tea

I've done it several times, but not with 'hop tea'. I've added all the hops at 15 minutes or less in the boil, with plenty of whirlpool hops and then dryhopping.

It's really good. I've heard some others say that they've had some vegetal or grassy notes, but that hasn't happened to me. I use the usual suspects for American IPAs- amarillo, simcoe, centennial, cascade, chinook and cascade mostly.

Thanks Yooper. My hop schedule may look a little funny but it's because I'm trying out Zythos for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have had great luck with this type of hopping schedule. good luck.

Beware using so much hop mass as it will eat up much of your beer!

Yeah, that's why I do 5.5 gallons. The hop tea eliminates the loss in the fermenter. Also, I use a DIY hop spider in my boil kettle which I can twist and allow to drain a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was about to say man that is a LOT of hops... but then I saw the dextrose, so I say go for it, sounds delicious, just brewed up two IPAs in the hop-burst style!

I've sort of started to wonder if they way to go is bittering hops and then a ton of hops at flameout/whirlpool. I'm marginally convinced that hops added to wort at greater than 170* isn't doing much of anything for flavor or aroma.

I've done it a few times and it wasn't bitter enough for me. I would do a 30 minute addition with a little bit of summit just to establish a bit of bitterness.

Back