IPA with Garlicky, Oniony, Danky Aroma/Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmberger21

Reaction score
I recently had a beer in Asheville NC that had a big garlicky, oniony and danky aroma/flavor. Has anyone brewed an IPA like this? And if so what was the hop profile like?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm sure others will chime in, but I think Galena hops are known to produce that real oniony dank flavor. I can tell you from experience that Citra can also produce a cumin-like funky flavor.

EDIT: Whoops - Summit, not Galena.

I think I get the same from dogfish head 60min. Traveling so I don't know the hop schedule since I'm bit at home, but (I believe) Yooper had a pretty damn dead on recipe. Continuous hopping etc.
Hope it helps. Happy brewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Belma gives an oniony taste and aroma

Not when I used it two years ago... It was pretty bland with notes of stone fruit, musk, and citrus. Not a repeat buy.

CTZ, Apollo, Summit

^This. Also, look into Founders Devil Dancer or Oskar Blues Gubna clones. Both of these beers are quite dank, some would say in a bad way. For more pleasurable dankness, try Lagunitas Imperial IPA (not the West Coast IPA). And, there's always liquid marijuana bliss in a can, a.k.a. Alchemist's Heady Topper.

some columbus is onion and garlic bomb, my last pack i got is for sure.

My Columbus is usually piney and marijuana-esque... not oniony really. Though I've seen a couple commercial beers and homebrews that utilize Columbus and sometimes they yield massive oniony flavor-aroma.

Back