IPA thoughts, too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonMagee

Reaction score
I'm working on a new IPA recipe. Am I going overboard with the hop combo?

OG 1.066
IBU 55
SRM 6
IBU/OG .84
Mash at 154F for 60 minutes

2-Row 10.0 lb
Vienna Malt 2.0 lb
Caramel Malt 40L 12.0 oz
Carapils Malt 8.0 oz

Centennial 0.5 oz 60 min
Amarillo 0.5 oz 60 min

Amarillo 0.5 oz 15 min
Cascade 0.5 oz 15 min
Centennial 0.5 oz 15 min

Cascade 0.5 oz 5 min
Centennial 0.5 oz 5 min
Amarillo 0.5 oz 5 min

Cascade 0.5 oz 0 min
Centennial 0.5 oz 0 min
Amarillo 0.5 oz 0 min

Centennial 1.0 oz 10 days Dry Hop
Cascade 1.0 oz 10 days Dry Hop
Amarillo 1.0 oz 10 days Dry Hop

A clean yeast like SA-05.

No, this is not overboard by any means. If anything, in fact, I would slightly increase the bittering hops given the level of crystal, the OG, and the good amount of aroma. Up to you, though. Realistically, the flameout additions will add some IBUs (and the other additions will add more than you're bargaining for), since the wort will still remain hot for a little while, even with the best home-cooling methods.

Agreed. If you drop the Carapils, you would almost have the grainbill for my house IPA (carared instead of 40L). Hopping levels are very similar, though I use whirlpool hopping rather than boil additions. If you make this beer as is, it will be great.

No way, my 5 gallon IPA recipe has 8 ozs of hops and 75 IBUs with a SG of 1.065

I use 2oz at 15 and 0. 4oz dry hop.

Your recipe looks very tasty.

Everything looks great. I would decrease the C40 to .5 lbs and definitely decrease the mash temp, probably to 151.

Mash around 151-152, drop the crystal to a half pound or less.

The hop schedule looks fine. I'd ditch the 15 min addition and do a 5 and flame out, and use the 15 for a hopstand after you've chilled a little and let it sit and whirlpool for 15-20 minutes until you get a good oil slick on top.

Ditch the amarillo at 60, it's doing nothing, and it doesn't have enough alpha to really match up for a bittering shot with all that. I'd use it later in the boil or hopstand myself and add more Centennial or something to get your IBU's back up from losing the 15 min addition.

I normally do a FWH, or 60min addition. Then a 10-5-flame out-whirlpool/hopstand.

Mash around 151-152, drop the crystal to a half pound or less.

The hop schedule looks fine. I'd ditch the 15 min addition and do a 5 and flame out, and use the 15 for a hopstand after you've chilled a little and let it sit and whirlpool for 15-20 minutes until you get a good oil slick on top.

Ditch the amarillo at 60, it's doing nothing, and it doesn't have enough alpha to really match up for a bittering shot with all that. I'd use it later in the boil or hopstand myself and add more Centennial or something to get your IBU's back up from losing the 15 min addition.

I normally do a FWH, or 60min addition. Then a 10-5-flame out-whirlpool/hopstand.

I was going to respond, but then I saw this guy had already written it out for me. +1 to all, especially the .5lb crystal or less (including the carapils). Enjoy the brew.

Thanks for the input, I'll drop the crystal a bit. I really wanted to keep the color a bit darker, but I don't want the flavor of the hops to suffer.

If you want a little color, you can add a bit of dark Munich or biscuit. Those can add a little depth of flavor (a little toast) without adding sweetness. But yeah, I agree that for my taste in IPA, dropping the crystal a bit is a good call.

I like just centennial for bittering maybe around 40ibus and I personally like caramel in my american ipas

Back