IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsMan

Reaction score
Type: All Grain
Date: 11/10/2010
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Brewer:
Boil Size: 8.38 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
14.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.43 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.86 %
1.70 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (90 min) Hops 63.5 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [14.00 %] (20 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [14.00 %] (10 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.25 oz Citra [14.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.079 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.85 %
Bitterness: 91.7 IBU
Est Color: 9.5 SRM

Any thoughts on the recipe, anything you think should change? I might be subbing the Simcoe for Centennial, given the lack of Simcoe available right now, but we'll see.

More curious about the grain bill though. I want something that will be incredibly hoppy, but will have the body to make it feel like you're actually drinking something. Would love some comments!

I wouldn't change a thing, but I might suggest mashing at a warmer temperature, say around 156-158 to give a nice, full mouthfeel.

way too much crystal malt (3.5lbs!) and not enough late hops. the lbs of crystal in an IPA should never be more than oz of late hops.

It's not a bad recipe. You've got all the right ingredients, just too much and too little of some key ones.
So let's start.

A. Please god don't mash it at 156-158. I don't want to slam hercher's advice, but...... ya......... Terrible idea for an IPA with any amount of crystal.

B. Too much crystal malt. 16% is way too much, especially with 2.5% carapils. You'll have a beer that's just too sweet, and the hops won't have a chance to shine. I'd expect your FG to be around 1.022 maybe higher with that grain bill.

C. More hops at flameout (at least 1oz, preferably 2oz), and Dry hops as well.

Here's what I would propose:

14.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.3%
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.83%
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.83%
1.70 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (90 min) Hops 63.5 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [14.00 %] (20 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [14.00 %] (10 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1.0 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.0 oz Citra [14.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
BIG Starter of American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale (Or use 1.5 packs of Safale US-05)

Dry Hop with
2-4oz total of Citra and Simcoe

Considering you said you want something with more body, I'd mash at around 154* (I usually mash my IPAs around 149-150*). That higher mash temp will create more dextrines in the wort, which will keep your FG a little higher (still much lower than what it would have been). I left a hefty amount of crystal malt in the recipe. You could even scale it back from there. (I like about 8% or less of the total grain bill).

Drop the carapils all together, It's just not needed here. I don't know what efficiency you target, but I'd expect this beer to be around 1.070 OG and finish around 1.015. Which for a nice IPA with some malt backbone should be just about perfect.

i'm going to agree above and beyond with everyone that all of that crystal will not turn out well IPA wise.

I would do no more than 4-5% crystal 40. And then maybe 3-4% dextrin if you want.
I am not really a fan of having crystal malts in IPA's though.

Bitter with Columbus is great, maybe spread the bittering a little at say 90-60-30 (Feel free to do maybe Columbus-90-60-Simcoe at 30). Hit it late (under 10 minutes) with maybe 2-3 oz of Simcoe and Citra (relying quite a bit more on the Simcoe) and then sufficiently (3 oz minimum total) dry hopping Simcoe, Columbus and Citra. All of this of course should hit your target IBU (75-80 minimum in my opinion).

Tell us how it turns out!

I appreciate the comments on the Crystal malts. I think I have some wierd idea that they MUST be included for head retention, body, etc. I am curious though, for those of you that don't use crystal in an IPA, what do you use to get that darker (relatively speaking) golden color? Or do you aim for a lighter IPA?

One other question; it just seems that my APA's and IPA's come out "thin" on the feel, which is why I keep wanting to add more crystal malts, but this has only happened since going from bottling to kegging. Could it be something with the kegs/CO2 pressure/all around set up that I'm not doing correctly? I have noticed that I tend to want to drink them earlier when they're kegged, is it possible I'm not aging them long enough?

Thanks for the Hops ideas for additions and dryhopping. You guys are teaching me a lot already! Keep it coming!

way too much crystal malt (3.5lbs!) and not enough late hops. the lbs of crystal in an IPA should never be more than oz of late hops.

Yep, I see the same thing, You need no more than 1 pound (total) of crystal malt, and ideally even less. Mash at no higher than 153.

I appreciate the comments on the Crystal malts. I think I have some wierd idea that they MUST be included for head retention, body, etc. I am curious though, for those of you that don't use crystal in an IPA, what do you use to get that darker (relatively speaking) golden color? Or do you aim for a lighter IPA?

One other question; it just seems that my APA's and IPA's come out "thin" on the feel, which is why I keep wanting to add more crystal malts, but this has only happened since going from bottling to kegging. Could it be something with the kegs/CO2 pressure/all around set up that I'm not doing correctly? I have noticed that I tend to want to drink them earlier when they're kegged, is it possible I'm not aging them long enough?

Thanks for the Hops ideas for additions and dryhopping. You guys are teaching me a lot already! Keep it coming!

If you want a nice strong malt backbone, you could use some Munich malt if you feel you have to. Most IPAs are simple- all two-row with a wee bit of crystal, and/or some dextrose in it. You don't want a boat load of crystal to make a cloying thick drink- an IPA is hoppy but eminently drinkable.

An IPA should be pretty thin. If you want a medium body, you can mash as high as 154 and leave out any dextrose but don't add more than a total of 8% crystal!!!!

Munich malt will add color and a tiny bit of body and sweetness. I use Munich in all my IPAs.

EDIT: yooper beat me to it. :mug:

If you're looking for what my tastes are an IPA I'd do:

13lbs 2-row
1.25lbs Munich
.50lbs Crystal 40
1.7oz Columbus @90
2oz (1oz ea) Citra/Simcoe @15
1oz Simcoe @ 5
2oz (1oz ea) Citra/Simcoe @0

That would be my take on your recipe without changing too much. What i posted about is very close to an IPA i brewed that placed in a competition this last weekend.

I would highly recommend marris otter as your base malt. I use it in all my ipa.

Also, obviously as stated too much crystal. I usually do 90-92% marries otter with the other percent of the grain bill being specialty grains.

You aske about what else other than crystal malt. Try honey malt it adds a nice orange hue and is also good in giving a little extra malt backbone without being too sweet. I would say try 4 to 5 percent each of crystal and honey malt.

Alright, I appreciate the feedback so far...one last thing for now: I won't be getting Simcoe for the brew, what do you think I should use in place of it? I have plenty of cascade and Centennial as well as more Citra and Columbus.

Edit: I'm leaning toward either the Centennial or Cascade, both of which are similar I guess. Either one better than the other?

I have a question based off of this recipe. If crystal malts are all processed the same way just kilned at different temperatures shouldn't a darker crystal malt contribute similar flavors as a lighter crystal malt just more intense? With that logic (if correct) my question is why use multiple degrees of crystal malt in a single recipe.

Prymal said:
I have a question based off of this recipe. If crystal malts are all processed the same way just kilned at different temperatures shouldn't a darker crystal malt contribute similar flavors as a lighter crystal malt just more intense? With that logic (if correct) my question is why use multiple degrees of crystal malt in a single recipe.

I dunno about "should" but they don't contribute similar flavors. C10 is light and sweet, C60 gets into caramel, and C120 brings a raisin-ish flavor.

The flavors get more complex as the grain is roasted longer, not to mention the difference in color in the final product. Pirtawolf hit it on the head, though.

HopsMan said:
The flavors get more complex as the grain is roasted longer, not to mention the difference in color in the final product. Pirtawolf hit it on the head, though.

This is exactly my point if c40 is a more complex version of c10 why use c10 and c40 in the same recipe?

This is exactly my point if c40 is a more complex version of c10 why use c10 and c40 in the same recipe?

Well, it's not a more complex version of c10. It's kilned darker so it's got a different flavor.

10L is light and sugary sweet, 20L is a bit less sugary and still sweet, 40L has caramel flavor, 90L tastes of toffee, and 120L has a raisiny, burnt sugar taste. They don't taste alike, that's why they have different crystal malts.

As an example of what I mean, do you eat fresh tomatoes? What about sun-dried tomatoes? Tomato juice? Tomato sauce? Tomato paste? They all taste different and are used for different purposes, but they still are all tomatoes. NONE of those processed versions taste anything like a fresh tomato, though.

It's sorta the same thing with the crystal malts. Sure, they are all 6-row (usually) kilned malts. But because they are taken and stewed and then kilned differently, they taste different. They have different color, yes, but different flavor also.

A nice way to get complexity in a beer is to "layer" the crystal malt, using some 20L and 80L for example. It provides a depth of flavor due to the differences in the crystal/caramel malts.

Thanks Yooper,
That makes a lot of sense to me know, I tend to use Crystal malts as my "coloring" agent more then anything. Looks like I need to start experimenting more.

The brew day recipe, any last minute changes I should consider?

Type: All Grain
Date: 11/10/2010
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.38 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (90 min) Hops 76.9 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (20 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [14.00 %] (10 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [14.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Citra [14.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.075 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.44 %
Bitterness: 102.1 IBU
Est Color: 7.8

HopLife said:
Is it appropriate to use Vienna in an IPA?

EdWort's haus pale ale uses 2 pounds of vienna in a 10.5 pound grain bill. Can't see why it would be inappropriate in an IPA.

I'd cut the crystal to 1lb max and definitely needs a dry hop.

very, Bell's among others use it. I'd use it instead of all the crystal

It will be dry hopped with 3 oz or so of centennial and citra

How much Vienna would you use instead of the caramel, still a pound?

How much Vienna would you use instead of the caramel, still a pound?

1lb would be fine, I'd use more if you're still looking for a maltier IPA. 10% of the grist should be good, personally I like it a lil higher

Ended up using 16lbs two row, and 1.75 of Vienna.
Dry hopped with 2oz of Columbus and 1oz Centennial, only had pellets on hand. I just got done filtering and kegging, and it tastes pretty damn good. Lots of bitter, lots of citrus, 8% abv, and has some good body. Will be interesting to see what it tastes like a little colder and what the head retention will be like when it's fully carbed. Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it!

Just wanted to update:

This IPA took second in the Imperial IPA category at the Upper Mississippi Mashout this past weekend. Thanks a lot for the discussion and tips, you guys are great!

Matt

congrats thats awesome! anything you'd change for the next go around?

I should be getting the score cards back tomorrow, so I have no idea what the comments were from the judges. I figure I'll look at those and decide what I should do with the beer for next time. That being said, I will probably play around with Hops combinations a little, just for fun! :tank:

Back