IPA recipe - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbarone00

Reaction score
Looking to brew my first IPA. Looking for something that has a variety of hops, added at various times. Any thoughts as to what could be adjusted or added?

Grains
10lbs. Pale Malt 2-row
1 lbs. Victory Malt
1 lbs. Rye Malt
1 lbs. Crystal Malt 60L

Possibly light brown sugar at 20 minutes?

60 Minute boil
1oz. Citra 60min
1oz. Simcoe 60min
1oz. Cascade 15min
1oz. Cascade 10min
1oz. Simcoe 10min
1oz. Citra 5min
1oz. Tettnang 2min

Dry hop with
1oz. Citra
1oz. Tettnang

Yeast
Wyeast American Ale II

OG 1.071
FG 1.013

I would skip the Tettnang in that recipe. It seems like it is just kind of put there to have another random hop without belonging with the other very American hops. I would also move those ten minutes to steep/whirlpool additions.

Will remove the tett and change the 10 minute add in to steep. Any thoughts on the yeast? I've never used this before.

1272 is my go to yeast for pretty much any American style. I absolutely love it. Has just a bit more character than 1056, and in my experience it also floccs a bit better.

Split the 60 min w/FWH, lowers bitterness and increases flavor.
Don't just drop the Tet, replace with Cascade, and DH 2 oz of each.
1272 is perfect for this.

I would rework the grainbill. The rye is ok, but it's not enough to discern and so I don't know why it's in there. The caramel malt is too much, and the victory is really out of place.

Brown sugar is really up to you- I personally hate the taste of fermented brown sugar (molasses without sweetness, and it's very odd) but if you love it, it's your beer after all.

For hops, I think you have too many hops at 60 minutes. Since you'll get a ton of bitterness out of the hops at 60 minutes, but little to no flavor, I'd reduce that addition to get 30 IBUs or so from that one addition, using something neutral like magnum, and then load up with 1 ounce additions of cascade, simcoe, and citra at 15 minutes and 0 minutes (and dryhop) for bitter hops flavor and aroma. Right now, it's a ton of bitterness but not as much in the way of flavor. Like was already mentioned, lose the tettnanger which will get totally lost in this beer.

ditch the brown sugar, and the crystal, swap the victory for munich. Either double the rye or ditch it. or swap it for wheat.

Mash below 150. Dont waste bittering hops on simcoe and citra, they deserve better. Buy an ounce each of 12 different hop varieties. Add them all in the last ten minutes with a 15 minute whirlpool. Double the rye malt drop the crystal. Yeast is good.

IMO...IPA's are all about the hops.
I would eliminate the Rye and Victory malts, reduce the C60 to 8 ounces. I would use a combination of Maris Otter and American 2 row. Absolutely no brown sugar. Do not waste Citra or Simcoe on Bittering additions, they are just too beautiful as late additions. Through much trial and error I have learned that a single clean bittering addition at 60 minutes like Magnum is best. Hop Bursting(large quantities of late addition hops)at 10 minutes works very well. I would do 1 ounce each of Citra, Simcoe, and Cascade at 10 minutes. Then at flame out add 1 ounce each of Citra, Simcoe, and Cascade while cooling the wort. Chilling my wort usually takes about 30 minutes, which is a good time for a hop stand. Dry hop with Citra, Simcoe, and Cascade. Scratch the Tettnang...it is very low in AA and wouldn't make much of an impact. Mash at 150*.Wyeast Am Ale is very good providing you can make a starter, if not Safale US-05 is my stand-by yeast.

IMO...IPA's are all about the hops.
I would eliminate the Rye and Victory malts, reduce the C60 to 8 ounces. I would use a combination of Maris Otter and American 2 row. Absolutely no brown sugar. Do not waste Citra or Simcoe on Bittering additions, they are just too beautiful as late additions. Through much trial and error I have learned that a single clean bittering addition at 60 minutes like Magnum is best. Hop Bursting(large quantities of late addition hops)at 10 minutes works very well. I would do 1 ounce each of Citra, Simcoe, and Cascade at 10 minutes. Then at flame out add 1 ounce each of Citra, Simcoe, and Cascade while cooling the wort. Chilling my wort usually takes about 30 minutes, which is a good time for a hop stand. Dry hop with Citra, Simcoe, and Cascade. Scratch the Tettnang...it is very low in AA and wouldn't make much of an impact. Mash at 150*.Wyeast Am Ale is very good providing you can make a starter, if not Safale US-05 is my stand-by yeast.

I agree with this guy.

Do not waste Simcoe and Citra as bittering additions. Use magnum, or Horizon for bittering and add the simcoe/citra at 5 or flameout

I agree with what most are saying here. However, I see no harm in 1 lb of victory. I've done it and liked what it did. In fact, I have a hop forward pale right now that had 2lb of victory (Not an IPA due to % Alc level and IBU level).

I love the clean finish of the 1272. It is great to let your hops shine, especially with the citra in there.

Warrior is another good one for your bittering addition.

I would rework the grainbill. The rye is ok, but it's not enough to discern and so I don't know why it's in there. The caramel malt is too much, and the victory is really out of place.

Brown sugar is really up to you- I personally hate the taste of fermented brown sugar (molasses without sweetness, and it's very odd) but if you love it, it's your beer after all.

For hops, I think you have too many hops at 60 minutes. Since you'll get a ton of bitterness out of the hops at 60 minutes, but little to no flavor, I'd reduce that addition to get 30 IBUs or so from that one addition, using something neutral like magnum, and then load up with 1 ounce additions of cascade, simcoe, and citra at 15 minutes and 0 minutes (and dryhop) for bitter hops flavor and aroma. Right now, it's a ton of bitterness but not as much in the way of flavor. Like was already mentioned, lose the tettnanger which will get totally lost in this beer.

I think all that Crystal and Brown Sugar is going to take away from the "IPA" taste/flavor you are probably expecting. Yoopers hop schedule looks great too.

Thanks for the great feedback. I will rework this recipe to remove the tet. I will also use warrior hops as the bittering hop, while using simcoe and citra at 5 minutes, flameout and dry hop.

I am going to keep the victory malt in. I really like a more complex and hoppy IPA. Base malt will be pale 2 row and about a pound of victory. Is there any other grains I could use to create more character aside the hops?

Thanks for the great feedback. I will rework this recipe to remove the tet. I will also use warrior hops as the bittering hop, while using simcoe and citra at 5 minutes, flameout and dry hop.

I am going to keep the victory malt in. I really like a more complex and hoppy IPA. Base malt will be pale 2 row and about a pound of victory. Is there any other grains I could use to create more character aside the hops?

Swap some of the 2-row for maris otter, and add some munich. Munich is the new crystal.

Thats how I used to add my hops my last batch I did a 60 min and just did a large flameout addition and dry hop and I was very pleased didn't think I missed the 5 minute addition at all

Latest posts

Back