IPA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retief

Reaction score
I have been experimenting around, and for my next brew i have german kolsch yeast, a pliny the bastid grain bill(obtained from hombrewtalk recipe database), i would like to brew an ipa, i have cascade, simcoe, and centennial hops.. Anybody have any suggestions?

So you don't want to do an IIPA but instead an IPA? Edwort's haus IPA will work with the hops you have on hand.

I have been experimenting around, and for my next brew i have german kolsch yeast, a pliny the bastid grain bill(obtained from hombrewtalk recipe database), i would like to brew an ipa, i have cascade, simcoe, and centennial hops.. Anybody have any suggestions?

all 3 of those are outstanding hop choices for AIPA, separately or in combo.

I guess it depends on how much of each you have?

there's a lot you could do with just Centennial. look at the recipe database for the Two Hearted recipe and go with that schedule.

1000s of combinations that could work for you

I have a pound of each. I'm not sure what to use for my bittering hop, my aroma hop, and my flavor hop.

I would use the one with highest alpha for bittering, then it's a personal preference from there for aroma & flavor

what would help is if you could figure out if there are any commercial IPAs you like, try and find out if the brewer lists the hops they use, or if there's a clone recipe out there.

Do you like dogfish head 60 or 90 minute?

If yes, you have 2 out of three of their hop combo (palisade instead of cascade, but would still work). You could mimic the "continually hopped" method and do a bittering addition of simcoe, maybe 0.25-0.5oz at 60 min then mix up the other hops into a bag and add a few hops every minute or two from 40 min until flame out. Depending on what bitterness/flavor/aroma you want, maybe do something like 1.5 simcoe, 1 oz cascade and 1.5 centennial in the mix. I think your IPA would do well with a dry hop too - again, maybe a combo of the three depending on what aroma/flavor you're looking for.

bittering addition of 60-70 ibus using simcoe or centennial (or mix)

Late addition hops: 40/40/20% cascade/centennial/simcoe mixed together (8 oz = 3.2/3.2/1.6 oz)
1.25 oz 15min
1.25 oz 10min
1.25 oz 5min
1.25 oz 0min
Cool to 175F, stop cooling, and steep for 15 minutes, then finish cooling

3.00 oz dryhop mix

Just an idea. Cheers!

stpug said:
bittering addition of 60-70 ibus using simcoe or centennial (or mix) Late addition hops: 40/40/20% cascade/centennial/simcoe mixed together (8 oz = 3.2/3.2/1.6 oz) 1.25 oz 15min 1.25 oz 10min 1.25 oz 5min 1.25 oz 0min Cool to 175F, stop cooling, and steep for 15 minutes, then finish cooling 3.00 oz dryhop mix Just an idea. Cheers!
I like this idea here a lot. Thank you guys!

Back