IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m00ps

Reaction score
Im thinking of making my first IPA this weekend. What do you guys think? I'm going for something similar to stuff from Tree House or The Alchemist. I've got a few other malts on hand to swap out....

9lb 2 row
1lb crystal 40L
0.5lb crystal 80L
0.5lb carapils
0.5lb maltodextrin

Mash for 60min at 155F

60min: 1 oz citra
30min: 1 oz citra
0min: 1 oz galena

Fermented with US-05 at room temp

The US05 at room temp and citra should pair for a lovely fruity boquet. You could also try dry-hopping with skittles and stripper wigs.

I'd cut the c40 by half and drop the carapils and maltodextrin and just go with 10lbs of 2 row and 1 lb total of crystal malts (or maybe even less)

You might be better off doing a cheap bittering hop at 60. I don't know about your LHBS, but at mine, citra is $$$! You'll get more out of it as a late addition. For the timing, I'd move the 30 min adn to 5 or even zero

ETA: I recently did an IPA mashed at 155. Did not like. The next one I did at 150-151.

Thats a whole lot of crystal.

You mentioned something like it is from the Alchemist...There is a thread on here "heady topper can you clone it" or something like that. Here is the current working grain bill although others have reported zero crystal in that beer:

11lb 4oz Pearl Malt (84.9%)- SRM 2.4
12 oz Caramalt (5.7%)- SRM 17
12 oz White Wheat (5.7%)- SRM 1.7
8 oz Turbinado Sugar (3.8%)- Added at flameout.
Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes.

Use those percentages more or less. Keep your crystal (including carapils, caramalt, caramunich anything like that you are using) to 5% and get rid of the maltodextrin. Use table sugar instead of the malto dextrin to dry it out more and let the hops shine through.

Good advice but you guys overlooked the sarcasm and what forum it's in ;). Shame on OP for not making it ridiculous enough.

Im thinking of making my first IPA this weekend. What do you guys think? I'm going for something similar to stuff from Tree House or The Alchemist. I've got a few other malts on hand to swap out....

9lb 2 row
1lb crystal 40L
0.5lb crystal 80L
0.5lb carapils
0.5lb maltodextrin

Mash for 60min at 155F

60min: 1 oz citra
30min: 1 oz citra
0min: 1 oz galena

Fermented with US-05 at room temp

Swap the carapils for Crystal 150. Swap the Crystal 40 for Black Patent malt. Double the maltodextrin. Swap half of the 2-row with cane sugar.

Try to use a more expensive bittering hop than Citra. Preferably something with a low AA% and high cohumulone.

I would also recommend swapping the Galena at flameout with Summit, and adding a huge Summit dry hop.

US-05 is no good for a beer like this. You will need Turbo distiller's yeast. Or if cost is a concern, you could go with Fleischmann's bread yeast (half a pound should suffice). Just remember to keep the fermenter open and stir frequently so the wort gets lots of oxygen.

Looks like you're on the right track. Maybe add some Jolly Ranchers to it to get you over the hump.

Well Im glad no one actually spent time and effort trying to help me with my terribly misguided recipe. I wouldve felt bad

I was just bored and had seen like 3 "IPA recipe help" threads and felt like making a recipe with everything that I consider wrong in those threads to see what people would say. Maybe I shouldve posted it in a different section...

Well Im glad no one actually spent time and effort trying to help me with my terribly misguided recipe. I wouldve felt bad

I was just bored and had seen like 3 "IPA recipe help" threads and felt like making a recipe with everything that I consider wrong in those threads to see what people would say. Maybe I shouldve posted it in a different section...

Or maybe no one thinks it's all that amusing?

Hi my IPA just isnt that good. Theres only two oz of hops in it, but I dont think thats the problem. Can you help?

Not, not a bad question at all!

Because this "recipe" is a joke but newer brewers and others who aren't into IPAs may not recognize it as such, I am closing this thread.

Please feel free to put questions about yeast strain and things like that in the forum- those questions you have are probably the same questions others have as well.

I'm just afraid that someone will take this "recipe" seriously and make a beer like this without knowing that it's supposed to be "funny".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back