IPA Honey recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph524

Reaction score
I have brewed the recipe below. Tastes very good but i would like to lighten up the color and taste. I was thinking of going with Northern Brewers Pilsen LME extract and DME. This beer is around 8% so there is a slight alcohol bite to it that I don't want to have more of. The guys dont mind this of course :)Any help would be great

1/2 lb Briess Caramel 40L steep for 20 mins

1/2 lb English Medium Crystal steep for 20 mins

6 0 lbs Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup 60 mins

1 lb Briess Amber DME 60 mins

3.15 lbs Northern Brewer Gold Malt Syrup 15 mins

1 oz centennial 60 mins
2 oz centennial 20 mins
1 oz cascade 10 mins
2 oz cascade 5 mins

1 lb Orange blossum honey end boil

1 oz cascade dry hop
1 oz citra dry hop

Use extra light extract. You don't have to resort to pilsener extract, but that will also work. When you're brewing, use half of it at the boil start and the remaining half at the 15 minute mark. This will effectively help to minimize darkening and provide more hop accentuation at the same time.

No need for honey in this recipe. And you're wasting your money by adding only 1 lb. to the hot wort. Just use sugar... about 10% of it. If you want honey flavor, you can steep approx. 3-5% honey malt.

Cut the Caramel malt to 5% or less of the total grain bill. Use 10L or 20L and steep for 30 mins.

For your hops (5.0-5.5 gallon batch):

1 oz centennial 60 mins
1 oz centennial 20 mins
1 oz centennial 10 mins
1 oz cascade 10 mins
1 oz cascade warm flameout steep
1 oz centennial warm flameout steep

1 oz cascade dry hop
1 oz citra dry hop
1 oz centennial dry hop

I addition to the above, you can also do late extract additions instead of boiling all the extract for 60 minutes. Add half at 60 minutes and the other half with about 15 minutes left in the boil. This will reduce some of the carmelization of the extract and help lighten the color of the finished product.

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I am still new to the my own recipe stuff. What is the difference from pislner to light LME ? ALso i was planning on adding the honey about the same time I add the yeast. Would this help ? I have the honey anyways but I plan to do honey malt next time. Thanks

What is the difference from pislner to light LME?

Flavor. I prefer American 2-row in my IPAs, but there are a few out there that use Pilsener malt (Smuttynose Finest Kind for example).

Also i was planning on adding the honey about the same time I add the yeast.

I would add it before the yeast, when the wort is approx. 80-90 degrees.

Latest posts

Back