IPA, Dry Hopping, Advice Appreciated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNOYES88

Reaction score
Im doing my first IPA and I like em hoppy as hail! The kit is an Octane IPA kit from MIDWEST SUPPLIES. Kit includes: 6 lbs. Gold liquid malt extract, 3.3 lbs. Amber LME, 8 oz. Caramel 40L specialty grains, 2 oz. Cascade, 1 oz. Willamette, 1 oz. Goldings pellet hops, oak chips. @ 72.5 IBU's.

I ordered extra of each hops and extra oak chips hoping to not only add extra hops in the secondary (not in recipe or instructions) to dry hop but also put in some extra oak chips for added flavor and bitterness.

My primary is a standard food grade fermenting bucket and secondary is a 5 gallong glass carboy. I got a couple muslin bags but would like any and all advice on how to do my best in the dry hopping.... thanks everyone!

p.s. ive never used coopers carb tabs before, how many would i put in 32 oz swing top bottles if it says to put 2 in 22oz bottles?

Actually,it's 2 carb drops for the 25.16oz cooper's PET bottles,but 22oz is close enough. 32oz might take 2.5 drops so as not to over carb the additional ounces of beer. I use hop sacks when dry hopping for 1 week so as to keep the stuff contained & less trub. And 4oz of oak chips would be fine. Just boil them in 1C of water in the microwave for maybe 5 minutes covered with plastic wrap. Cool & add to secondary. might have to give'em 2 weeks or more to get the oak presence where you want it.

i ordered extra of the exact same hops that came with the kit. 2 oz cascade, 1 oz willamette, and 1 oz goldings. Will those be also fine along with the oak chips in dry hopping in that qty?

Yeah,together is fine. But cut the cascade to 1oz. Don't waana overpower the English hops. Cascade is a bit stronger flavored.

i ordered extra of the exact same hops that came with the kit. 2 oz cascade, 1 oz willamette, and 1 oz goldings. Will those be also fine along with the oak chips in dry hopping in that qty?

the octane IPA is english style. 4 ounces of dry hops may be pushing it a bit style wise, but it'll make good beer. as far as the oak goes, those cubes that come with the kit will make it oaky enough, so you can probably skip the extra oak. if you want more oak flavor, leave it on the oak longer. just taste it along the way so you don't over oak the beer.

if the original ibu is 72.5 and i dry hop with one oz of each, what would the approximate ibu be then? or is there a way i can measure it?

Dry hopping won't change the IBU's. Bitterness will be the same, but with added hop punch in the nose.

I just ordered their Double IPA kit. It came with hops to dry hop. Looking forward to hearing how this one turns out!

Back