IOS brewing apps - what do you guys use.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Special Hops

Reaction score
So I have been using iBrewmaster for about the past 5 years or so. And while a little buggy, provided pretty much all the features I needed. Recently I upgrade my iphone, and none of the recipes and batch info sync'ed onto the new phone(even though I was using the iCloud Sync feature). They are all still on my iPad but can't them back on my phone. I have tried the drop-box backup but with no luck.

Poking around on-line I see that others are having similar issues without much help from the developer. The app appears to be unsupported, which is a shame as I think with a bit of TLC this thing can be revived.

So anyways - I am looking around for a different brew day app to use. I used to use ProMash which worked fine but don't like the idea of having to drag out the laptop when I brew when I can just grab my phone or tablet.

So looking for some suggestions. Thanks

I use the BrewersFriend mostly. I can sync across all my devices and I like it more than Beersmith.

I used Beer Alchemy for a long time but switched to BeerSmith about 10 batches ago. It’s taken some getting used to and clearly not native to Apple environment but I appreciate Brad’s commitment to the product and community. One issue worth noting is the iOS version is not full featured implementation. Good enough for accessing brew notes away from home but still a little to buggy to rely on during brew day.

Beersmith's mobile app is not full featured but you can design a beer on the PC version and sync it with the mobile version for brewing. I have not felt the need for the mobile version. It is not that difficult to use my laptop in the brew room.

So, I have no recommendations on a mobile app. Maybe Brewers Friend.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like Beersmith is the one to try out. I don't mind using the laptop, but it is convenient to have your recipes sync'ed to your phone. Sometimes when I'm out running errands I stop by the LBSH on a whim, it's nice to whip out the phone and look at what you might need for the next batch.

I looked at Brewers'Friend. But they want like $25 / year for it. No thanks. I don't mind paying for software upfront, and even a reasonable subscription if you use things like could sync and what not. Beersmith is much more reasonable at $10/year.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like Beersmith is the one to try out. I don't mind using the laptop, but it is convenient to have your recipes sync'ed to your phone. Sometimes when I'm out running errands I stop by the LBSH on a whim, it's nice to whip out the phone and look at what you might need for the next batch.

I looked at Brewers'Friend. But they want like $25 / year for it. No thanks. I don't mind paying for software upfront, and even a reasonable subscription if you use things like could sync and what not. Beersmith is much more reasonable at $10/year.

I’ve been happy with the Basic membership version. I did get both the desktop and iOS versions but just the one time purchase, no subscription.

Fermenticus Brew Log. It's lacking in a few places (like water additions) but it's easy to use. It's free for 5 recipes and relatively inexpensive to increase the number of recipe slots if you like it. The developer continues to update it as well.

I'm a huge fan of BeerAlchemy. I am a Mac user and have the native application on my MacBook Pro and also on all my iOS devices. It sync's across hardware and you can create a recipe or batch from any of the devices. It also makes the workflow easier for a Mac user as well. One caveat would be I wish it had a built in timer based on times stipulated in the recipe.

Jim

I've been using Beer Alchemy for several years. I like it well enough. To me, the best feature is the ability to sync across devices. It really helps when I'm at the LHBS and can't remember what I need for a recipe. The just released an update within the last month or two that increased BeerXML compatibility, which is a plus. It took me a while to get the hang of the inventory system. It's not very intuitive, but it does work. The rest of the software has been doing fine for 5-gallon batches. I'm close to getting my 1/2-bbl brewhouse up and running, so I'll get a chance to see how the recipes scale up. I also have BeerSmith, but it's a bugger to try and keep the two applications maintained. I find Beer Alchemy easier to use overall, and it's my brew day go-to, but BeerSmith is far more common. If I was to switch to BeerSmith for my main app, I'd run the Windows version in a Parallels environment.

Back