IO Star iodine santizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I picked up a small bottle of IO Star sanitizer at my LHBS, to use with my bucket washer. Did a great job of sanitizing clean carboys without the foam volcano that Star San produces.

Couldn't find much info online - Five Star website datasheet is fairly useless. I mixed to the recommended 25 ppm concentration and rinsed a bunch of small parts in a bucket. It started reddish brown but then cleared up after awhile. Does that mean it stopped working?

John Palmer "How to Brew" recommends 12.5ppm concentration, but the product labels lists 50 ppm and 25 ppm options, based on the application.

Should I rinse the residue off with water before refilling the kegs with beer?

Can I re-use mixed iodine sanitizer? How long is it good for?

Can I use this stuff to recirculate in my draft system?

Last edited:
If the solution goes clear and no longer smells like iodine, you will need to mix in more iodine into it. Do not rinse before filling kegs, just turn the open keg upside done and let air dry first. Just chuck used solution, it is cheap insurance against infections and the sanitizer is dirt cheap. For your draft system, you are better off using BLC beer line cleaner. Have fun!

If the solution goes clear and no longer smells like iodine, you will need to mix in more iodine into it. Do not rinse before filling kegs, just turn the open keg upside done and let air dry first. Just chuck used solution, it is cheap insurance against infections and the sanitizer is dirt cheap. For your draft system, you are better off using BLC beer line cleaner. Have fun!

got it.

For the draft system, I use BLC for cleaning off beer stone/residue, but I still need to sanitize afterwards, right? I had been using Star San after the BLC but I read that some plastic draft fittings are weakened over time if the Star San sits for awhile.

I have never sanitized my beer lines nor any tap room that I know of. Just clean them and re-use

really?! It seems like there is potential for wild yeasts and/or bacteria in the lines/fittings, especially after pouring sour beers

The same process as getting a keg ready for a new batch of beer.

maybe I can skip the sanitizing step? Does everyone else just run BLC and skip the santizer?

I run blc for about 15 minutes and then run starsan for 5. If I have an empty tap I leave the starsan in the line until my next keg is ready. Maybe we are both overdoing things but it really isn't that much of an extra effort with my setup.

Back