Invert Sugar now available in US!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne1

Reaction score
We can now make all of the recipes featured on Ron Pattinson's "Shut Up About Barclay Perkins" "Let's Brew" Let's Brew Historical Recipes

Invert sugar is fructose and glucose instead of sucrose. These sugars have a different mouth feel and taste then sucrose. They are easier for yeast to consume than sucrose.

Ingredients: raw cane sugar, water, phosphoric acid, baking soda

Available at Homebrewing.org: Beckers Invert Sugar

Last edited:
Nice! Thanks for notifying! I've been thinking of making my own due to the price difference, but its always nice to have options!

Nice! Thanks for notifying! I've been thinking of making my own due to the price difference, but its always nice to have options!
I've always made my own, but would be happy to pay for the convenience. Nice to know this is now available. Now all we need is US availability of brewer's caramel!

I've always made my own, but would be happy to pay for the convenience. Nice to know this is now available. Now all we need is US availability of brewer's caramel!
I agree, Robert65.

It is fairly simple to make, but it does take some time.

What, you don't need a 55gal drum of it?

I've always made my own invert as well. Since it keeps so long, I've just made like 5 lbs of each at a time (stored in half pound increments) and then I'm stocked for a good while. Still effort but makes it worth it. That pricing is still high for my taste. I'd consider it for #4 but they don't seem to offer that one.

I've made my own before. I don't mind the time so much as the splattery mess. Next time I need it, I hope it;s still being sold here!

Awesome! Thanks for posting

I've made my own a few times as well and I don't feel that I'm getting consistent results so I might try this despite the big cost difference

I also posted this over on the AHA website. Jeff Rankert (hopfenundmalz) replied:

"Glad to see that. Matt Becker of Becker brewing is producing this. He showed me the steam jacketed kettle he had bought used, and would refurbish. He needed to find the right packaging and have it meet tamper safety requirements. Saw that label too.

Matt has helped sponsor Ron Pattinson trips to the US. A talk at Eastern Michigan U's fermentation school is part of that too.

Matt and several Ann Arbor Breweries have been doing historic beers from Ron's blog. He knew there was a market."

Ron Pattinson's visit to Brewery Becker

I also posted this over on the AHA website. Jeff Rankert (hopfenundmalz) replied:

"Glad to see that. Matt Becker of Becker brewing is producing this. He showed me the steam jacketed kettle he had bought used, and would refurbish. He needed to find the right packaging and have it meet tamper safety requirements. Saw that label too.

Matt has helped sponsor Ron Pattinson trips to the US. A talk at Eastern Michigan U's fermentation school is part of that too.

Matt and several Ann Arbor Breweries have been doing historic beers from Ron's blog. He knew there was a market."

Ron Pattinson's visit to Brewery Becker

Sounds like a trip to Ann Arbor is in my future

I saw that advertised on Ron Pattinson's blog and got excited for a minute. It's $8 bucks a pound sold in 3lb cans! A pound of Sugar in the raw is only $4. Factor in shipping and no thanks.

I saw that advertised on Ron Pattinson's blog and got excited for a minute. It's $8 bucks a pound sold in 3lb cans! A pound of Sugar in the raw is only $4. Factor in shipping and no thanks.
Yeah it's pricy. It's just the effort that may make up for it. For #1 and #2, not worth it to me. For #3, it *might* be worth it. #4 is where I'd consider it. But as I said, I make all of em in 5lb increments, which makes em last a while. At a normal (for me) 1# per 10 gal batch, it lasts me a while. I scarcely use #1 or #4, so it's mostly making #2 and #3.

It is nice to have the option when in a pinch. Like anything you could do yourself, but sometimes lack time or inclination and are willing to pay someone else to do. I so rarely brew ales anymore, it's a question of whether it's worth the extra effort for one batch worth. Though at this point I still have 5 lbs worth (~6 lbs syrup) of #3 on the shelf, made February 2019... at least it keeps.

Back