Introducing the BrewKart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, I love the small footprint using the SS cart.

Maybe this is a silly question; but how do you clean it all out when you're done?

Maybe this is a silly question; but how do you clean it all out when you're done?

It's actually easy to clean. The threaded unions make disconnecting the pots a snap. I clean out the mash tun during the boil, and when I'm circulating the ice water to chill, that takes care of a good part of it. After I clean the kettle, I'll fill with OxyClean solution and recirculate through everything, and follow that up with a StarSan rinse.

Amazing system. :rockin:

I'm still a backyard type brewer w/ mix of barely usable equipment. I've bookmarked for dreaming purposes.

Nice props in AHA article. You mention scaling down to 4 gallon batches. Does this give you quicker boil times/efficiency or is 4 gallons just a better volume for you. Can the elements keep up okay if you want to boil 5 or 6 gallons?

Great write up and thanks for sharing. Definately subscribed! Please keep us updated as to your progress.

Cheers:mug:

Tony

~PacBrau

5 gallons is about the max that the 2000W heating element can boil. I wanted to stick with a 120V system, so this was the biggest element I could go with. I start with 5 gallons pre-boil unusually end up with 4 in the fermenter.

How did you plumb the valve on the mash tun to the false bottom? I am planning on building something very similar and have been wondering how the domed false bottom works in the stainless pot.

How did you plumb the valve on the mash tun to the false bottom? I am planning on building something very similar and have been wondering how the domed false bottom works in the stainless pot.

mashtun1.jpg

I also have a half coupler on the bottom to allow it to draw more wort.

5 gallons is about the max that the 2000W heating element can boil. I wanted to stick with a 120V system, so this was the biggest element I could go with. I start with 5 gallons pre-boil unusually end up with 4 in the fermenter.

Thanks for the reply! Love the system! If SWMBO ever lets me brew in the house again, I'll be referencing your system.

Cheers

Important safety note for those building a similar control panel: As some of you let me know via PM, the e-stop is not rated to handle the full amp load of the system. And, sure enough, it burnt out on me. No damage done, other than to the e-stop itself, but it was clearly not a good situation. After doing some research, I decided to add this contactor to the design to make it safe (as it should have been all along).

Since I needed more space, I decided to upgrade the panel as well. Got an amazing deal on Ebay, and here's what she looks like now:

IMG_05153.jpg

Any reason the cart is stainless? Would like to build something like this but for a little cheaper.

Back