Intro post./bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daytron3000

Reaction score
Hello all!

I was encouraged by the rules of the internet to introduce myself, My name is Darrin, I live in Baltimore, and I just brewed my first beer last Saturday: the true brew oktoberfest kit. It's just chilling in the corner and I stare at it every second I get like it's my child. Very excited to brew more.

My question is, the fermentation seems to have settled today and has the layer of krausen at the top. Could I bottle this Saturday or should I hold off a bit?

Thanks!

I would say hold off another week or so. Technically, if the gravity is stable, you could bottle it up. I understand being anxious to push your first beer through. But if you wait a bit, it will clear up some more and the yeast will clean up some byproducts of fermentation and make for a cleaner tasting brew. Congrats on your first baby and welcome to HBT.

If you do not have a hydrometer, get one. Only bottle when your beer has reached it's FG. That means a stable FG reading after 3 days. It will likely be way too soon to bottle on Saturday.

Latest posts

Back