Interrupted Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00t

Reaction score
I started mashing 3 lbs last night for a partial mash but i got called into work. I was able to sparge the grain and then I put the liquid in a brew bucket with lid and put it into the fridge.
Will this harm anything or contribute to off flavors? I was gonna just pick up where i left off, boil it and add extract/hops and pitch all as normal.

THANKS!

You're good. For all grains I usually mash in the night before and pick back up the next morning. Your situation isn't really that much different.

Agreed. All is well. I do the same thing; let the mash sit for about 12-15 hours in the coolers, then collect the runnings/sparge the next day.

what do you think is the longest gap between mashing and using it in the wort???

considering that you mash-out temp is close to sanitation temp (74C and up?), I think 24h with closed lid should be fine, longer and you might start getting beer fermenting in your MLT from wild yeasts on the husks :D

PT Ray & Avidhomebrewer
Guys, thanks so much for the heads up, I use the overnight method pretty much 100% of the time now, man it makes brew day sooooooo much easier & more fun... :D(If you have any other little tips/time-savers I'd be more than greedy to soak'em up):D

Back