Intermittent pilot system help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2BeerSpeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am wondering what valves will work with this system. Will asco 8210g2 work or Honeywell 8200 or 8300? All I need is my valves and pilots to start assembly!

Like this...I'm not sure if any valve will work with these type pilots or if you must have the Honeywell valves mentioned. I have access to the ones in my 1st post and was wondering if they would work

As long as the valve is 24vac and rated for gas and pressure (propane or NG) then you should be good to go

A quick question, you want to go high pressure or low pressure propane, or NG. A couple things are universal, the Y8610 ignition module and the Q345 pilot burner.
If you want to go the high pressure LP route then 2 Ea 1/4" normally closed solenoid valves rated for fuel gas are needed, one for pilot burner, other for main fuel. Contrary to popular myth a 1/4" solenoid valve with 10 PSI LP is more than enough, I use one on a burner with a 1/16" orifice with a higher output than a Banjo burner.
For the low pressure LP and NG then the Honeywell 8304 furnace valve is hard to beat for simplicity and cost. With appropriate jets you can get satisfactory performance with a 10" Banjo burner.

I have a honeywell 8200 and a 8300 with standing pilots now and I have low pressure lg now. I run bg14 burners. I have love switches to run them with but not sure if I need any transformers or ssr's etc.

Love tss2-21 00 switches...Thank you for the reply. I have read a lot of your posts on wiring and it seems you have saved many homebrewers! I'm a lineman by trade but this small stuff drives me crazy!

For an enclosure something along the lines of a NEMA 12 or 4 would work as you will spill something on it before you can say it will never happen. With the honeywell valves you will need a 120-24VAC transformer, 40 VA for one valve, 75 VA for 2, and 100 VA for 3. Reason for higher ratings is lack of air movement in panels, higher VA ratings do not heat up as fast, and uneven steps represent diversity of load expected with controllers, both valves usually not in operation at same time for long periods.
Here is an example for panel wiring that covers 120 VAC loads for pumps and valves, and the 24VAC for the gas valves, note indicators are both 24V for burner side and 120V for pump and valve side https://picasaweb.google.com/110297595278760536729/PanelWiringDiagram?noredirect=1#5507979690350514498. For spark ignition setups here is an example diagram for use with the LOVE TS-2 series temperature switches https://picasaweb.google.com/110297595278760536729/Ignition?noredirect=1#5420037998508461298

You will need a bigger enclosure to provide room for switches and transformer, something more like 10X12X6 would be appropriate, don't start too small and lament the fact that there is not enough room.
A cardboard box is a good way to prototype, when everything fits and looks okay, it is the time to buy the real panel.

ok I have 2 Honeywell S8610U3009 Intermittent Pilot controls, a asco 8210g2 gas valve, a Honeywell vr8300 valve and a Honeywell vr8200 valve. I have 2 love tss2-2100 controls and a Auber SYL-1512A control. Does it matter what kind of transformer I get? I planned on putting the loves on the HLT and MLT with the Honeywell valves and spark ignition. I'd like to use the auber for only a temp gauge either on the BK or at the exit of my chiller. I have no pilots yet but plan on ordering them soon. Would it be hard to use the asco valve on the BK and have it ignite by push button on the control panel? what other parts would this require? Thanks in advance for any replies!

You need to draw this out and post it as nobody is going take the time and reengineer this ourselves just to answer your question.

I believe I have it figured out. I wasn't asking for anyone to reengineer anything. I thought someone else may have a similar setup who may be able to give me a few pointers. Thanks anyway

I just recently built a something similar with the honeywell y8610u4001 valve included intermittent pilot system. Google 2nobledogsbrewing and he has a good write up of how he built his system. I use low pressure propane for HLT and High pressure for boil kettle. I have a burner automated under my MLT but haven't found a reason to use it since Im running a HERMS. Check out ebrewingsupply for enclosers, switches, LED's ect. I went with the enclosure suggested by Kal on theelectricbrewery.com. I suggest using auber 2362 or any other model PID that can control a SSR so that you can convert to electric if you want in the future.

Finally moving forward with this project. Spent the last year focused on house remodels and a new job. When I had time to actually brew it was on a 10 bbl system at a local brewery. While that is awesome I'm ready to get back to home brewing. Bumping this thing up as I'm sure I'll need advice!

Back