Intermediary Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salanis

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm trying to figure out my brew schedule and decide if and what I could brew in the next couple of days.

I have a weizen in my 5gal carboy, on a WLP380 Weizen IV yeast, that is ready to bottle whenever I feel like. I also have a Saison in my 6gal carboy that I need to give at least another week or two to finish up.

I've been planning to brew my holiday ale which will get started on my Saison yeast, then get moved over after about 5 days to finish up on my weizen yeast (and bottle the weizen at that time). With the saison taking a while longer, I've been trying to decide if I can brew something on the weizen yeast in the meantime.

I'd been thinking it might be interesting to try a Pale Ale or IPA with the Weizen IV as a bit of an experiment. My concern is though, that the high hops and alcohol of an IPA could end up straining the yeast so that it produces off flavors when I brew the holiday ale. I really want the holiday ale to be good.

So, do I go for it? Just let the weizen sit until I'm ready to move the holiday ale onto it? Or maybe brew something less intense than an IPA in the meantime?

Another quasi issue is that I'm down to my last couple of bottles of my previous brew, and potentially looking at a dry patch until the Saison and Weizen can condition. At worst, that would mean buying beers though.

Wash the yeast instead of knocking out on the whole cake. You can repitch a slurry in your high ABV beer, and then save the washed yeast for your holiday ale. Just build a starter for the washed yeast.

Back