Interesting variations pre-bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrSteve

Reaction score
As I spoke about in a previous thread I have 1 gallon, primed in a demi-john. Being a chemist and an experimental type...any thoughts of anything I could do to try and add some variations to this beer pre-bottling? Add fruit, herbs, anything like that?

The beer is darker, like DeGroen's Marzen, not too bitter or as dark as any stout. I'm not sure I know of any other US beers like it, maybe a Sam Adams with more hoppiness and a touch more bitter?

Aren't demi-johns usually 15 gallons or so?

I did not read the thread you allude to but depending on how much you have to work with yes you can experiment. If it is a large batch (not 1 gallon) you could rack it into several smaller vessels and add different fruits, herbs, spices, perhaps even yeasts depending what you have; again, I do not know what you are working with, and get several different beers.

Aren't demi-johns usually 15 gallons or so?

I did not read the thread you allude to but depending on how much you have to work with yes you can experiment. If it is a large batch (not 1 gallon) you could rack it into several smaller vessels and add different fruits, herbs, spices, perhaps even yeasts depending what you have; again, I do not know what you are working with, and get several different beers.

All I can tell you is my Dad made wine in demi-johns which were about a gallon form what I could make out. I have heard of "pins" and "demi pins" where beer is concerned.

Well, I'll take what I have and make some additions directly to the bottles as I don't have that much to play with.

Back