Interesting brew session

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewurzel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
well got up this morning and started up system as normal
heated water to strike temperature and doughed in
turned on pump and rims system. It stopped flowing right off the bat.
what the hell went through my head.

looked up and seen my false bottom still hanging on the rack. S**t.

had to take everything apart transfer all the grain to buckets.
and puled apart the rims tube and it was completely full of grain also.
took rims tube and all tubing apart and cleaned it all out.
must have lost 1/4 pound of grain or more.
put everything back together put mash back in mash tun and re fired it up to temperature.
All back on track
Did my scarification rest for 60 min
batch sparged and boiled it up
got 10.2 gallons in fermenter with O.G. of 1064
was shotting for 1062 and 10 gallons by beersmith
so i got an efficiency of about 79%

all is well and in fermenter put another hour to my brew day but i am still happy with my result, hope fully there should be no ill tasted due to my mistake.
now sat back and enjoying my last batch of coconut porter

This is why it is always useful to have a step-by-step list of what to do and of your materials.

I know how to do a run through of a straight brew (minus some of the details sometimes) but I *always* have a list next to me of the brew method I will be employing, in point form. And I re-read it over -- before brewing day and during -- to make sure I don't miss any steps. I also have the ingredients list next to me as well with technical notes written on it as I go.

I haven't had to use it yet, but a checklist of materials/tools would be helpful as well. List them in the order you will be using them and check it off when you have completed the task.

It may seem daunting or boring, but even the best of us can get absent minded from time-to-time. Ever since I've implemented this, I've never really had a problem that way -- just sometimes over stupid stuff like, recently, when the mash boiled over, because I wasn't paying enough attention.

Hope this helps :)

Back