Interesting (and confusing) Dilemma...too much malt!! PLEASE HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatball358

Reaction score
Ok so I looked up an IPA recipe recently on HBT and decided to order the ingredients from AHS...I do not have my own mill and as such I opted to allow them to millthe grain for me...Also i selected the option to add all grains to a particular grain bill and have it combined in a single bag to make organization simpler

Heres the issue: As far as Base Malt is concerned I had 6lb Marris Otter and 3.5 lbs Belgian Pale Malt...however somehow I had the quatity for Belgian Pale at 2...so my grain bill now has 7lbs of Belgian Pale and 6lb Marris Otter... Altgether the grain Bill looks like this

6lb Marris Otter
7lb Belgian Pale Malt
1lb White Wheat
7oz Cystal 75L
6oz of Carapils

This Puts my grain bill at just over 15lbs for a 5 gallon batch and Im not sure exactly what I should do... Should I just brew all 15lbs the way it is and get an extra malty IPA? Should I scoop a few pounds of grain out and just hope that I dont sacrifice too much specialty grains? Maybe I could make it a 6 gallon batch and just hope it doesnt taste too off?

Please assist with any advice/suggestions u have...this batch ran me just under 50 bucks all together and I dont want it to go to waste/come out too poorly

Thanks in advance Guys :mug:

I can think of a couple options that would use the grain as it is now.

1. You could make it an Imperial IPA instead. You would definitely want to increase the hops additions to compensate for the bigger grain bill.

2. You could bump up the final volume of the recipe to around 6.5 gallons instead of 5, which would leave you right around the same target gravity. It won't be exactly the same as the original recipe, of course, but it will still be fine.

Yep, you're in a pickle :drunk:

If it's all milled and mixed together it's impossible to pull out just the Belgian Pale. Since it was shipped I would assume it's thoroughly mixed and anything you pull out will contain each grain, so you'll likely just be reducing the grain bill proportionately.

Hmm...I think your 6 gallon idea is good, but I would boost up the hops to keep the balance between them and the malt. Plug it all into brewing software and play around with the numbers. You might just make something you really like.

I am not a pro at things like this but I would just brew it up as is. You will have a "strong" IPA or maybe an Imperial. I really do not think you will gain to much as far as "malty" goes. You will not have a specific "X" IPA but you will have a tasty stronger IPA.

thanks for the advice guys...still unsure about what im going to do..but i plugged it into BeerAlchemy and the OG (with 100% efficiency) is 1.109...gonna be huge to brew as is...im thinkin about makin it a 6 gallon batch and playin with the hops a little bit...any1 elses advice will be greatly appreciated *coughcoughREVVYcoughcough*

:p :mug:

Back