intense alcohol taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogueit

Reaction score
I made my first batch of mead and I have enjoyed it. It is really "alcoholy" and I would like to avoid the intense alcohol characteristic on further batches. Below is the recipe I used.

1 gallon batch
2.2# honey
2.2# blackberries
EC-1118
top off with water
Started 12/18/2011

I do not have any instruments to measure OG but using the Mead OG Calculator I get an OG of 1.078 and I assume the since I left fermentation to run wild I probably have a gravity reading of .999 giving me a ABV: 10.5 %

Racked off primary onto another 2# of blackberries. Left to set 4 weeks

Continue to rack off lees every four weeks.

So is this an expected result?
Will a yeast with a lower Alcohol Tolerance make for a more pleasent beverage?
What would you have done different?

Thanks,
Rogue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29227278@N05/7106193541/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29227278@N05/7106185675/

How long has it aged? It is common for meads to need a year or longer to mellow out. There are techniques available that can shorten the process.

I would also suggest using a different yeast, 1118 is not the optimal choice for a mead because it will blow alot of you honey aromas out of the air lock. I like to use 71-b, and D-47. Those yeasts will make the aging process faster. Take a look at the book called the complete mead maker by ken schramm, it's a bit dated but it is a great source of information.

It also makes a difference what temp you fermented at; what you're tasting are fusels from (I think) fermenting at a higher temp...it'll age out eventually more than likely but I think you'll find if you keep your must at the temps recommended for the yeast you are using you'll wind up with a much tastier product.

How long has it aged? It is common for meads to need a year or longer to mellow out. There are techniques available that can shorten the process.

It has aged for almost 4 months. So you think if I let it set a while then the alcohol taste should slip into the background?

I still remember my first mead from way back. Tasted like moonshine after 4 months (3 fermenting, 1 bottled). By the time it reached 9 months of age it had transformed into something divine!

It also makes a difference what temp you fermented at; what you're tasting are fusels from (I think) fermenting at a higher temp...it'll age out eventually more than likely but I think you'll find if you keep your must at the temps recommended for the yeast you are using you'll wind up with a much tastier product.
I fermented at about 72-76 degrees which should be in the range for EC1118. But If it is just to young then that might be the problem.

It will definitely mellow out with time. The most likely reasoning for the intense harshness is that you started with a low OG must, 2.2# of honey is real thin (3# per gallon is sort of the average starting point) and using a "beast" like 1118, it probably fermented fast and furious and went real dry real fast, so your aging process is going to be longer to get to the good stuff. if you like the lower OG and ABV meads look into yeasts like the lalvin D47, ferment between 60*F and 70*F. It will help you get to a more pleasant drinking experience a lot sooner.

Back