instock ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artfldodger

Reaction score
For my second brew ever, I'm going for a ESB... or was hoping to at least
The origional recipie I got from somewhere was:

--
6 # pale LME
1 # crystal malt
.5 # victory
1.5 kent goldings @ 60 min
.5 kent goulding @ 20 min
1 oz fuggles @ 5 min
Wyeast#1968

--

But, It turns out my local home brew shop has a very limited selection of specialty grains, no crystal or victory. So I started taking a stab at what might be ok together and got:

6 # pale LME
2 # amber DME
1 # english 2-row

1.5 kent goldings @ 60 min
.5 kent goulding @ 20 min
1 oz fuggles @ 5 min

Wyeast#1968
---

Does is even sound good? Its not really an ESB anymore, but thats ok. Any subtractions or additions I should make? More/less hops? different yeast? The only other grains there that looked like they would fit with this style are barley & chocolate. Please let me know, I'm a compleate noob at this!

Thanks in advance!

Now, remember if it was me I would use the Fuggles for bittering and the Goldings for flavor and aroma. Your addition of 2 row is not going to add any additional flavors. What grains does your local shop have? I would add 2oz. of Goldings with 20 minutes remaining and then 1 oz. with 5 minutes remaining.

from what I recall:

Belgian Pale Ale Malt, Munich Malt , Vienna Malt, Wheat, Chocolate Malt, Barley, Caramel, Honey, 2-row and some assorted flakes that I didnt pay too much attention to.

I just brewed an ESB, I used 1lb of Munich, 1/2 lb Crystal 40L, and 1/4 lb Chocolate Malt. I used EKG for bittering and added some Fuggles to my secondary.

I plan on bottling tomorrow, when I racked it over to the secondary it tasted pretty good.

Thanks for the help so far guys, did a little bit of tweaking on it, dropped the 2-row (which will save me from mashing, not quite ready for that) and added more specialty grains, hops. Its actually starting to get close to a english strong ale recipie i saw. What do you guys think?

6 # pale LME
2 # amber DME

1 lbs vienna
.5 lbs of either Carapils or dark caramel or CaraVienne (whatever they have)
.25 lbs chocolate

1 oz fuggles @ 60 min
2 kent goldings @ 20 min
1 kent goulding @ 5 min

Wyeast#1968

Sorry for being a little late. The recipes I see and used have Munich,Honey and Crystal Malts. I really like Munich and Honey malt and crystal malts are very common in most ale recipes. I would use the Honey instead of the chocolate and go up to .5 lb. Good Luck, I love ESB's.

Turns out im a compleate idiot and they had some crystal malt hidden in the corner behind the boxes of empty bottles:

so the grains I have are:

1 lb crystal 60l (the only kind they had)
.5 munich (i have a whole lb of it, should i add more?)
.25 chocolate

The honey sounded good, but i guess they didnt have any, unless you ment the honey you find in a bottle. Got my starter going and should be off and running tomorrow! Thanks so much for the direction guys, its my first time not using a kit so i was a bit lost at first.

I did a partial mash ESB that I just transfered to my secondary a couple days ago.

I used 6# pale malt, and mashed 2# of 2-row and 1# of 60L... Fantastic! Adding the Munich won't hurt anything IMO :) I don't think chocolate is used in ESBs traditionally though. I'd remove that from your bill.

And hey, however it works out, you'll still have beer! Have fun!

Another vote for dropping the chocolate. 1# of 60L crystal is perfect for an ESB and will give a beautiful copper color. (I'm admiring the color right now.)

-a.

artfldodger said:
The honey sounded good, but i guess they didnt have any, unless you ment the honey you find in a bottle. Got my starter going and should be off and running tomorrow! Thanks so much for the direction guys, its my first time not using a kit so i was a bit lost at first.
I was referring to honey malt. You sound well on your way. Let us know how it goes.

The process of making it went quite well, I dropped the chocolate, so the specialty grains were just 1 lb crystal/.75 lb munich. Great color so far!

The only concerning thing is at the end of it all I took the SG reading (right after i dropped the yeast in) and it was only 1.03 ( the same reading I got with with my first brew which had 1/2 the fermentables this ESB does) when promash gave me around 1.07 w/ 75% efficieny. Any idea what causes that? me, or a sketchy hydrometer?

How hot was your wort? If the temperature was very high, it will affect the gravity reading. otherwise you do have a jacked up hydro. Because the amount of malt extract (~8.5 lbs. LME) should get you into the 60's at least, I would think.

it was in the 70's when i took the reading so it shouldn't add that many points to the reading. I was actually thinking this morning, I took it right after i dumped in the top off water & yeast and hadn't stirred them all together; so maybe its possible that the majority of the wort was still at the bottom and I got a rather diluted sample? I started with a little under 6 gal of water, so thats my only guess why its off.

I'd double check, but I dont want to risk infecting it.

transfered this guy into the secondary last night and sampled the hydrometer reading (1.018) and good lord it is good!

And it gets better with age? Because seriously, 1 week old and flat its the best tasting thing i've had in awhile. I'm temped to drink it straight from the carboy... :D

Latest posts

Back