Installing Racking Spigot On Fermonster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Page

Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I picked one up from my LHBS and would prefer to rack to secondary with a spigot and tube. My concern is that the plastic of the fermonstet is too thin to be drilled. However, it would appear there is an indint/outline where a spigot could be added.

My question is... has anyone done this? I would prefer to know if anyone has before I go drilling into my new equipment.

A couple of weeks ago I drilled a pair off older Big Mouth Bubblers and added spigots. If they were any thinner, they wouldn't exist at all!

Use a sharp step bit, go slow, and don't let the plastic grab the drill. Buy the time you reach the right step, you'll have the feel of it. Good luck!

I wanted to bump this thread. I just drilled through my Fermonster with a 1" hole saw but I'm having a slow dripping leak when I put the spigot in. I've tried holding water in it while it's finger tight, and then I tried where it's kind of overtight and they both seem to drip. Should I be using any o rings? Any advice from someone who has done this would be great!

All of my spigots came with large soft (silicone?) washers. I use one inside and one outside, no leaks. If you drilled on a relatively flat spot and cleaned up the hole edges it should seal finger tight. I've not tried a hole saw on a fermenter so I don't know what sort of hole quality you have.

Make sure you have a silicone washer on both the inside and outside. I did this with my fermonster with no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just did this this afternoon. Used a Ryobi 1 inch hole saw from Home Depot. Tried it out on an old water bottle first. Had to trim out some flash with an exacto knife then used washers inside and out. Filled it with 7 gallons of water and let it sit for about 3 hours and no leaks

Latest posts

Back