Installing a plug straight on kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodell

Welltown Brewery
Reaction score
Has anybody ever tried to do anything like this? I've thought about it the last few days, and it seams like it would work just fine but I thought I'd ask since I'm. No electrician
Basically it would be just being able to remove the cord without using a triclamp or removing the element

20170212_150118.jpg

don't do that, at least not as configured. if you unplug the cord at the element, the exposed male ends of the plug will be hot, very easy to get shocked. instead, get an element that has male ends and have a female receptacle on the kettle-end of the cord. no exposed live parts this way. brewhardware sells these types of elements as do others:

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/element5500_ripple_tc.htm

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1486935300.797038.jpg

This is a picture of my kettle. Not the best picture but in lower right you can see I came off element and out of metal box with a cord and plug. My thought at the time was to make the kettle an appliance and plug it into extension cord.

I have since disassembled the kettle and I'm working on installing an outlet. I don't like having cords hanging from my kettle.

As stated in other post you will have exposed live parts if having an outlet installed on kettle. If you never disconnect the plug at kettle while plugged into wall outlet you will be fine.

Each person is responsible for their own safety and electrical safety.

don't do that, at least not as configured. if you unplug the cord at the element, the exposed male ends of the plug will be hot, very easy to get shocked. instead, get an element that has male ends and have a female receptacle on the kettle-end of the cord. no exposed live parts this way. brewhardware sells these types of elements as do others:

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/element5500_ripple_tc.htm

I'm glad there are people smarter than me. I did overlook that however now that seams so obvious, thanks

I'm glad there are people smarter than me. I did overlook that however now that seams so obvious, thanks

no worries. and to the point of the previous post, as long as you are safe, there is nothing to worry about as you originally proposed. but as we all know, we're only as safe as we think we are. all it takes is a couple extra beers on brew day, a curious brew partner, etc. and someone is going to have a bad day. i mean, you can balance that full glass right on the edge of the table but why bother if you don't need to? :D

Take a look at "generator inlet" plugs. They are male plugs that are installed in a receptacle box. Or a flanged inlet plug. They are available in 120V and 240V, most likely the way I'm headed with my rebuild.

no worries. and to the point of the previous post, as long as you are safe, there is nothing to worry about as you originally proposed. but as we all know, we're only as safe as we think we are. all it takes is a couple extra beers on brew day, a curious brew partner, etc. and someone is going to have a bad day. i mean, you can balance that full glass right on the edge of the table but why bother if you don't need to? :D

I drink while I brew....just seams like a bad idea now that I'm thinking about it

Back