Inline Thermometer issue - Northern Brewer Stainless CFC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicktght311

Reaction score
So i picked up the Stainless CFC from Northern Brewer. It has 1/2"NPT fittings on the wort side, standard 3/4" garden hose fittings on the water side. I wanted to plumb in an analog thermometer on the outlet so i can monitor the outlet temp to know when to move the output to the fermenter. I purchased a Stainless tee, and a quick disconnect for the wort hoses, but looking at the internal diameter of the outlet of the wort side of the CFC and its smaller than 1/2". Which is fine, i just throttle things back, but the issue i have now is that the probe for the thermometer, which is only 2" long, would obstruct that outlet. The end of the prob snugly fits in that outlet so it would greatly restrict flow. I've been trying to find a 1.5" or smaller prob connected to an analog thermometer with no luck. Everything that small is more PT100 electric probe related.

Quick fix would be a stainless extension with 1/2" Male NPT on one end, and 1/2" Female NPT on the other, but for whatever reason i cant find that either.

Anyone have the northern brewer stainless CFC with an inline thermometer? How did you make it work for you

Spoke too soon. Found a 1/2" NPT extension coupler on NY Brewing Supply. :) Should fix it

full

Purchased from Bobby at Brewhardware.com

So i picked up the Stainless CFC from Northern Brewer. It has 1/2"NPT fittings on the wort side, standard 3/4" garden hose fittings on the water side. I wanted to plumb in an analog thermometer on the outlet so i can monitor the outlet temp to know when to move the output to the fermenter. I purchased a Stainless tee, and a quick disconnect for the wort hoses, but looking at the internal diameter of the outlet of the wort side of the CFC and its smaller than 1/2". Which is fine, i just throttle things back, but the issue i have now is that the probe for the thermometer, which is only 2" long, would obstruct that outlet. The end of the prob snugly fits in that outlet so it would greatly restrict flow. I've been trying to find a 1.5" or smaller prob connected to an analog thermometer with no luck. Everything that small is more PT100 electric probe related.

Quick fix would be a stainless extension with 1/2" Male NPT on one end, and 1/2" Female NPT on the other, but for whatever reason i cant find that either.

Anyone have the northern brewer stainless CFC with an inline thermometer? How did you make it work for you

Analog Bimetal thermometers are not well suited for micro flow adjustments because they are slow to react. The digital solution is very cool.

Latest posts

Back