Infusing bacon question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniperspyder

Reaction score
Hey all! Looking for input. I read an article about a place that infused bacon in their porter and since they went out of business they had no problem posting a 5 gal recipe. I used their bacon steps in an oatmeal stout. In the primary I put 6 oz of baked hickory smoked bacon in. (That's all they used total). When I racked to secondary at day 15 I tasted after testing and it tasted great with bacon goodness. At kegging all I had for flavor was a smokey hint. All other aspects were great.

What would you do differently to keep more of a bacon taste?

It tastes great regardless and everyone is enjoying it.

Thanks in advance!

I did a Bacon Helles (from Brew Your Own magazine) and had the same issue. That called for 2 strips of thick cut, crumbled and soaked in vodka for 2 weeks and then add the liquid at kegging. I got nothing but a very very very faint hint of smokiness in the flavor of the beer. So definitely don't have a solution...but maybe since you added at secondary,,,maybe do a bacon vodka infusion at the kegging?

Yes you should probably blend it in the keg. Using the method jdauria described. You can also put the vodka in the freezer which will congeal the fat on-top which you can scoop off to help head retention.

I would use the tinkture and add a bit at kegging, taste, and if you want more then add more.

Rauchmalt + Melanoidin, in maybe a 5:1 ratio. If you want bacon in your beer, you might as well make a beer that backs up the bacon flavor.

I watched an episode of Brew Dogs (I think). They were making a 1 barrel batch (I think) they made a container and pumped the beer through the bacon. If I recall correctly they used 200 pounds of bacon........

I thought someone had developed a bacon extract additive.

I watched an episode of Brew Dogs (I think). They were making a 1 barrel batch (I think) they made a container and pumped the beer through the bacon. If I recall correctly they used 200 pounds of bacon........

I thought someone had developed a bacon extract additive.

A bacon-back!

I help out at a local nano brewery here in NH and one of their flagships is an imperial bacon stout and I know that they use the tincture method as well. He bakes the bacon then drains the grease and jams mason jars full of bacon and adds some vodka then lets it sit for a few days to really get a good extraction then adds it before moving it to the bright tank. They also do a maple infused version that is pretty amazing and for that I know they use a maple extract flavor

Latest posts

Back