Infrared Thermometer....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGHBrewer

Reaction score
I sell one at RadioShack and was thinking about picking it up because I have a 50% discount lol. Anyone know it its accurate? Cat No. Is 22-170 if you want to check it out on their website.

I sell one at RadioShack and was thinking about picking it up because I have a 50% discount lol. Anyone know it its accurate? Cat No. Is 22-170 if you want to check it out on their website.

Accurate or not, imo IR thermometers have limited usefulness in brewing, because water vapor will throw off the reading. Plus, as it only reads the surface temp, it'd likely be misleading if used for measuring mashes.

My trusty Thermapen, otoh, is the bomb for all of that...

Cheers!

The best use of these is to point them at your spouse to see what your chances are.

i use this one to check my fermentation tub. i can take a quick reading of the water bath and know if i'm good or if i need another frozen water bottle.

i've used it to check mash temps as well, but only when looking for a second,third, or fourth opinion...anybody else obsess over whether your thermometer is lying to you or not?

Latest posts

Back