Informations for a begginer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gauthier

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new here, i've got a few questions :

- I've got a kit ( Mangrove Jacks) with dry hops (my third one) and wanted to know what to do with the hops ? Should I boil them or drop them in the barrel as is ?

- I have lost about 2 litres of water (out of 23L) because the tap wasn't closed properly, is that a worry ?

Thanks.

Welcome Gauthier!
Did any directions come with the kit? Instructions are often lacking in critical info, but they usually are pretty good about telling you when to add the hops. But on 2nd reading, I see you're asking about dry hopping. Nope, don't boil them, just dump them in at the appropriate time.
As for the water loss, was that before of after the wort was added to the fermenter? Either way, what's done is done. You definitely do NOT want to add any more water now. The time to topoff is before you pitch your yeast.
Everyone makes a few mistakes their 1st time or two. However, the yeasties are very forgiving of our mistakes. I predict you'll be amazed how good the beer you're making will turn out!

Thanks for your answer, it was after so I won't do anything now thanks !

Also for the Standard Airlock With Cap, the water is uneven now but makes no bubbles, it is seal properly tho

I am interested about beer brewing and would like to do more than the basic kits but still with the barrel, is it even possible ?

Thanks

would like to do more than the basic kits but still with the barrel, is it even possible ?
Mr. Beer barrel? I don't know much about them, but I believe there's a whole section on Mr. Beer somewhere on this forum. Look around, and you might find that folks are doing amazing things with them. Of course, many others have moved on..... :mug:

Hey guys I am new here, i've got a few questions :

- I've got a kit ( Mangrove Jacks) with dry hops (my third one) and wanted to know what to do with the hops ? Should I boil them or drop them in the barrel as is ?

- I have lost about 2 litres of water (out of 23L) because the tap wasn't closed properly, is that a worry ?

Thanks.

Dry hops are just dumped into the fermenter when the fermentation is over. Try to do this quickly with the least opening of the fermenter possible to avoid getting any more air in there than necessary and try to not touch the hops on their way into the beer.

There will be a penance to pay for spilling your beer.:eek: You will not be allowed to drink that 2 liters you spilled. Hopefully this will be the last time.:rock:

You can certainly continue to use the fermenter. To get away from kits you’ll need to use a brewing calculator. There’s a free version of Brewer’s Friend, which I’ve been using for years now. Works nicely.

Back