Infection or Yeast Raft

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBuuck

Reaction score
No bubbling in the airlock for first three days of fermentation so I investigated... The seal where my airlock goes was torn off on the bottom, likely leaving my brew open for attack. Is this infected or just some floating yeasties? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391203410.212530.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

These are some big happy chunks of yeast from what I can tell. If there's the slightest gap the CO2 will escape an you won't see bubbling. Only a gravity read will tell ya what's going on! :mug:

Mostly yeast rafts,but there's some whitish stuff around them in the center. no ring around the collar either that would denote fermentation going on. I'd take a gravity reading. What was the wort temp when you pitched the yeast?

Looks like fermentation is mostly over- that's yeast and krausen that just hasn't sunk yet. It may sink, or it may just chill up there. Looks like beer to me!

Back