Infection or krousen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennyloaf

Reaction score
I'm sure you guys get this a ton so sorry in advance.

I am brewing 4 gal of cider (central market, organic, no preservatives) with added honey up to 1.06. I did a 1 gal test batch with out honey using some washed ale yeast and setting in my pantry when the weather was high 60-low 70F and it turned out great. I let it ferment for a week in the original glass container.

I washed the yeast again and put in with 4 gal of cider and yeast in a Carboy with a runaway Irish stout fermentation - as a result I kept the temps low, around 63F). This stalled ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393700344.115914.jpg the fermentation a bit. When I finally got a blow off tube for the stout and warmed up my fermentation chamber I noticed this on the cider.

Not sure if it is a fresh fermentation krousen or infection? Please advise. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sorry, thought I should clarify stout and cider are in different carboys. Also Irish red in background.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It looks like krausen to me. Let it ferment out and see if it still looks bad

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Back