Infection on first batch???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DublinVision

Reaction score
I just pitched my first batch on the 17th, I didn't get krausen or bubbling untill two days later on the 19th, Today I checked it and there is no bubbling and the krasen has dropped to less than a 1/4 inch....but I have sporadic white patches in the remaining krausen. I would post a picture but I can not yet.

Is this a growing infection and should I move to secondary or allow to finish a full week in primary?

Nah this is a infection.

infected1.jpg

Is this a growing infection and should I move to secondary or allow to finish a full week in primary?

Definitely give it more time in the primary. I once transfered too quickly and I got a lot of additional foaming in the secondary. You'll also find a lot of information around here about the benefits of keeping your beer for a longer time in the primary. Many homebrewers are skipping the secondary altogether.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/

Maybe posting that infection thread earlier will just make more noobs think they have one. "Oh my god, I see bubbles! What do I do??!??!?!" I'd say the first batch was my most worrisome as well, but I saw quite a few posts from Revvy telling everyone not to worry. Listen to the man and you will be rewarded.

Had blue fuzzy chunks on a strawberry hefe and it came out great! 5lbs chopped frozen berries and 5lbs campden treated slurry... best strawberry hefe yet!

bottled no scum line around neck of bottle... wonderful.

side note as posted earlier... had a slightly dirty racking cane, ended up with a WONDERFUL sour beer (supposed to be a session pale ale) but came out sour... almost dumped it... decided to wait it out... have a wonderful sour beer that has a strong strawberry thing going... taking the last of it camping in july as a dry, with fresh caught fish, beer!

I may save a last bottle to sour another batch at bottling! this beer was Great!

I have several friends who ask if I still have any of my sour beer. may need to continue the legacy of the "oops"!

Chill relax and drink some more. As long as your hands were clean from the bathroom...lol I bet you will be fine.

Maybe posting that infection thread earlier will just make more noobs think they have one. "Oh my god, I see bubbles! What do I do??!??!?!" I'd say the first batch was my most worrisome as well, but I saw quite a few posts from Revvy telling everyone not to worry. Listen to the man and you will be rewarded.

yes listen to revvy hes almost always right. especially that beer is very tough and almost every fear we have is just paranoia or lack of knowledge

I just spent an hour reading posts from Revvy and I have a hell of a lot to learn, time and patience should go a long way.

It is hard as hell to not watch my first batch like a damn infant, the kid is 5 days old and I want to teach him football, fishing and how to change the oil on a Harley.

This site will be a favorite for many a years to come, Cheers

Chill relax and drink some more. As long as your hands were clean from the bathroom...lol I bet you will be fine.

EVEN if not... nothing in beer can kill you (unless your brewing with meat)... just might not taste nice... had a scum line in the bottle on an oatmeal stout 15+ years ago... drank it quick... had a funk that wasn't bad early but pretty awful later on dumped last 12... first where 40 where drinkable... still had a oatmeal taste.

bottling is where you'll probably most lickly get an infection

I read dark and 70 F is ideal once bottled...I live in an apartment with minimal closet space...I have a spare bedroom I have the primary in but how can you keep the beer so low without constant a/c or refrigeration? any tricks?

A more experienced brewer may correct me if I'm wrong- but once the beer is bottled I think the temperature range where the beer will be fine is pretty wide. Temperature control is much more important during fermentation, where you really want to keep things below 70 for most yeast strains.

Fear not. Like revvy said... you have new brewers nerves. I was the same way... just let it sit... you will end up with something that will get you drunk, and you will have some pride in it... no matter how it tastes. I am by no means a veteran.... I brew extract and I just recently (today) bottled my 6th batch. Nothing has turned out infected. As long as you sanitize you will be fine.:rockin:

+1 on the new brewers nerves, I was so worried about EVERYTHING my first couple batches. My second batch I made an orange wheat from a wort-in-a-bag kit with some extra additions. When I was pouring the wort into my primary bucket the box broke and the unsanitized bag and some cardboard fell in. I also had whole fruit in the primary that developed an interesting white color after a few days. I was so worried that I would get an infection and was preparing for the worst. It has since turned out to be one of the best beers I have ever had (homemade, store bought, or on tap at a pub). As long as your best to keep things clean and sanitized you'll probably be fine, just let the beer do it's thing and you'll be surprised at how well homemade beer can turn out.

I fermented my first 5 days around 78......

That is a little warm. You'll probably read a lot about how fusel alcohols can be created at fermentation temps that high. These make the beer taste "hot" and can apparently cause nasty headaches. You'll also probably read about how these fusels can be cleaned up by the yeast with some prolonged conditioning. So all is not lost.

A lot of people build really cool fermentation chambers or buy cheap fridges or freezers off of craigslist. I've been fermenting in a big plastic tub I got from Target for a few bucks. I just put my fermenter in there, fill it up with water, and cycle in frozen water bottles. It's been working really well to keep my temps in the mid 60s. The beer has been noticeably cleaner tasting than my first couple batches where I didn't really try to control the fermentation temps.

Latest posts

Back