Infection?!? Help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsEggy

Reaction score
I on Sunday (10/20/2013) my husband and I started a cider. When I got home yesterday there was a dense foam with a white spot in the middle. It looked odd, but I waiting to see what would happen. When I woke this morning the foam was gone but this thin layer of white film is still there. Now my husband and I just started brewing beer and this was our first cider, so we have a lot to learn. But it still does not look right to me.
Here's a few pics I took this morning, can anyone help? Give advice? I'd hate to throw it all out.

image-2037473444.jpg

image-1267068818.jpg

It's hard to tell from the pics, but it's rare for a cider infection to show signs so early into the fermentation, which should still be quite active at this point. It may be time to take an SG reading to see where you're at. Cider infections typically appear as a skin-like film on the surface, not as bubble rafts, or globs. If you're nervous, add some sulfites for peace of mind.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but it's rare for a cider infection to show signs so early into the fermentation, which should still be quite active at this point. It may be time to take an SG reading to see where you're at. Cider infections typically appear as a skin-like film on the surface, not as bubble rafts, or globs. If you're nervous, add some sulfites for peace of mind.

Exactly this. I doubt you would see this size and type of thing on an infected cider this soon.

Probably just some leftover gunk from the fermentation. They don't tend to build up as much as a beer, but it's possible.

I was thinking it was way to early for an infection, it just doesn't look right. I'll just wait a few days and see what happens. Thanks :)

Back