Infected or normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullsi1911

Reaction score

I took the easy way out and used the fizz drops in my NB 1 Gallon Barleywine kit to carb my Cider. Now, I took a look to see if the fizz drop had dissolved, and saw this in the necks of all the bottles.

Is that normal for a cider that's carbing in the bottles, or did I screw it up and need to move these into a safe area before they start to exolode?

Just wait a week (Em assuming you just bottled these 1 or two days ago) then open one and check for carbonation. Taste it and smell it, if it doesnt smell like satans butthole, its probably fine. If its not carbed, try again one week later. If by that point its still weird, I would scrap em. As for the pic, im not sure what it is, kinda looks like a SCOBY.

Were the bottles new? If they were used before were they properly cleaned before you sanitized them? If they were new were they washed and cleaned before sanitization?

First guess would be it looks fine, possibly just a small krausen in the bottle. I've never used fizz drops so I don't know how they act.
Do as the others said, wait, store them somewhere safe and try them after a week or so of bottle conditioning.

Just wait a week (Em assuming you just bottled these 1 or two days ago) then open one and check for carbonation. Taste it and smell it, if it doesnt smell like satans butthole, its probably fine. If its not carbed, try again one week later. If by that point its still weird, I would scrap em. As for the pic, im not sure what it is, kinda looks like a SCOBY.

I am at a week as of today after bottling. I'll crack one tonight and see what the heck happens

Were the bottles new? If they were used before were they properly cleaned before you sanitized them? If they were new were they washed and cleaned before sanitization?

Mix of new and used bottles. All cleaned and sterilized in star San before bottling

First guess would be it looks fine, possibly just a small krausen in the bottle. I've never used fizz drops so I don't know how they act.
Do as the others said, wait, store them somewhere safe and try them after a week or so of bottle conditioning.

I'm hoping is is just something from the bottle conditioning. But we shal see tonight

If they don't asplode before then;)

My spiced ginger beer went like this. I also used the drops, although I have had no problems with other batches. I have opened a bottle earlier,no off smells or taste (may have bottled too early judging by the carbonation). As a precaution I have transferred the rest of this batch into a gallon kilned jar with a tap and added fermentation stopper with a campden tablet. See how it smells and tastes, I am just experimenting with a few bits hence the precaution

It tasted fine, had a bit of carbonation. Looks like its fine. Thanks everyone!

Damn, I was planning on calling my new punk rock band satan's butthole, but now you have preempted me.

Latest posts

Back