Induction kettle reviews/suggestions wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwb96

Reaction score
The advent of the 3500w induction burners is accelerating my electric brewery plans, now with a lot less wiring and building. Might not be as much fun, but safer, faster, and easier.

I brew 5g batches, but want 5g at the end going into the keg, so I usually boil 7+ gallons. Am therefore planning on a 10g kettle.

Use plate chiller, so my only fitting requirement is a ball valve - don't care about temp, and if I get a kettle with etched volume markings, don't care about a sightglass.

My favorite is a toss-up between the Megapot 1.2 and the bru-gear induction pot. Also looking at the Bayou Classic and the "heavy duty kettles" from either More Beer or Midwest. Any strong opinions on quality, value, etc.? Best fit on the Avantco 3500w?

Thanks,
Jim

I have the 62 qt bayou classic and it is barely magnetic and does not work well on my induction cooktop.

Right - specifically looking at the tri-ply, which by all accounts is induction-friendly.

Lots of information is here already in these threads:

Will Cheap 3500 Watt Induction Burner Work

Request Induction Equipment Information

For the record, I have an 8 gallon MoreBeer Heavy Duty kettle, 1.2mm, with tri-ply bottom. It's 14" wide and 12" high. It looks great on the IC3500 and all preliminary small boil tests went well. Today will be the first time I'll be brewing a full 5.5 gallon AG batch using the IC3500. From previous stove-top experience, 8 gallons is a bit small for a 7 gallon full boil without boil overs and splashing from boil surges. A 10 gallon vessel would be better suited.

Lots of information is here already in these threads:

Will Cheap 3500 Watt Induction Burner Work

Request Induction Equipment Information

For the record, I have an 8 gallon MoreBeer Heavy Duty kettle, 1.2mm, with tri-ply bottom. It's 14" wide and 12" high. It looks great on the IC3500 and all preliminary small boil tests went well. Today will be the first time I'll be brewing a full 5.5 gallon AG batch using the IC3500. From previous stove-top experience, 8 gallons is a bit small for a 7 gallon full boil without boil overs and splashing from boil surges. A 10 gallon vessel would be better suited.
Yes - finding lots of info on the "cheaper" various heavy duty pots and the Bayou, even older megapots. Would like to know more about the MegaPot 1.2 and bru-gear. More googling . . .

Back