Incomplete water report - but is what I have troubling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmf143

Reaction score
I'm going to be opening a 10 barrel microbrewery. The municipal water supply is from 4 production wells operating in the same well field, at a depth of approx. 210 feet.

I spoke to the Dept of Public Works which is in charge of the water supply and received a DEQ report which contained the following results:

Chloride 224 mg/l
Hardness as CaCO3 286 mg/l
Sodium 78 mg/l
Sulfate 45 mg/l

The report didn't contain the results for calcium, magnesium, or pH. The man I spoke to said that iron is removed from the water supply by using (binding?) it with arsenic.

What would I need in order to be able to brew 10 barrel batches of a variety of ales with this water? I figure on brewing 2 - 3 times per week maximum.

I'm going to be opening a 10 barrel microbrewery. The municipal water supply is from 4 production wells operating in the same well field, at a depth of approx. 210 feet.

I spoke to the Dept of Public Works which is in charge of the water supply and received a DEQ report which contained the following results:

Chloride 224 mg/l
Hardness as CaCO3 286 mg/l
Sodium 78 mg/l
Sulfate 45 mg/l

The report didn't contain the results for calcium, magnesium, or pH. The man I spoke to said that iron is removed from the water supply by using (binding?) it with arsenic.

What would I need in order to be able to brew 10 barrel batches of a variety of ales with this water? I figure on brewing 2 - 3 times per week maximum.

You should get a complete report from Ward Labs, for one. That water is going to be difficult sans RO treatment.

Yes, the chloride and sodium are higher than desirable and could pose problems for beer flavor. You do need to pursue the complete report. RO is probably in your future.

Back