In the Style of Pliny, Double IPA, Hoppy and crisp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siso80

Reaction score
My brew Journal for the day May 9, 2012 - 10 Gallon BAtch

Bought all the ingredients needed to make a Pliny Clone except of course for Simcoe, can't find any. I substituted Horizon for the 45 minute addition of Simcoe and I was thinking of going equal parts Citra, Horizon and Chinook for the Dry hop addition of Simcoe.

The Grain Bill is Identical to the Pliny Recipe
24 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt (American)
2 lb. - Corn Sugar
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (45L)
2 lb. - CaraPils Malt

Mashed @149

Hops ( i've toned it down just a touch, i have a lot of leftover hops for dry hopping)
3 oz - Chinook (First Wort or Mash Hop) (probably Useless)
4 oz - Warrior (90 Min.)
1 oz - Chinook (90 Min.)
2 oz - Horizon (45 Min.)
2 oz - Columbus (30 Min.)
4 oz - Centennial (Flameout)

got it down to 74 with my wort chiller, it's now 1 am , i will pitch my yeast starter at 8:00 am, the wort should be at 67 degrees by then and my yeast starter will be about 14 hours old ( billions of cells)

one carboy will have WLP001 CAlifornia Ale Yeast, the other Will have WLP051 California Ale V Yeast

one last note, i forgot to add the corn sugar to the Wort, i will add in 3 days time during High Krausen

Pre Boil Volume Was 15 gallons, 1.040,
at 13.5 gallons OG 1.055

My basement Temps are from 63 to 69, i dont have a ferm wrap.

Did you have a question?

This will not compare as an accurate side-by-side to Pliny; a little bitter for me, but it will be tasty nonetheless.

not a question, maybe pointers is what i was looking for, i am thinking about not doing any dry hopping, i am not trying to emulate pliny, just trying to make a clean tasty brew, i dont like over maltiness, i want a light in body double ipa, thats why i started first with the pliny ingredients, but my process isnt exact enough to start cloning beers, i need to hit mash temps and cooling temps more closely first

You'll have 6.0-6.6% abv tops, 1.060-1.066 OG, and not finish as low at 1.010/11. For hop focus, you'll want a lot of late additions and dryhop. Given this info, you don't want to shoot for a 4:1 bittering to gravity ratio... more like a 1.5 or 2, to 1 ratio.

I would skip FWH and Chinook additions. Bitter with Warrior and then pound it with more hops at 20 / 10 / 0 / DH.

Example:

3.50 oz. at 90
3.50 oz. at 20
4.00 oz. at 10
5.00 oz. at 0
0.75 oz. hops per gallon of beer for the dryhop

may 8th 11:00PM: cooled beer down to 80F
May 9th 8:00AM: pitched yeast starter (made 15 hours earlier) wort @ 77 degrees and dropping
8:00PM 70 degrees
May 10th 8:00AM: great active fermentaion, holding steady at 67 degrees
May 11th 8:00AM: Added 4lbs of dextrose and 1400ml water boiled and cooled (the dextrose from the recipe had not been added to the wort) This is twice the ammount asked for in the recipe but i also added water so... we'll see what happens.

in 2-4 more days (when fermentation is almost complete) i will dry hop 2/3 of the ammount called for in the recipe, then 7 days later i will keg it up.

this will be my first beer kegged, i have all the equipment needed, i am curious how long it takes for co2 to absorb liquid in a 68 degree environment, I am talking about force carbonation, is less than the 2 weeks it takes to bottle condition, i dont want to do the over carb and shake method, i want to do this proper.

May 13th 8:00am

3 oz - Columbus (Dry Hop)
2 oz - Centennial (Dry Hop)
1 oz - Horizon (Dry Hop)
1 oz - Citra (Dry Hop)
1 oz - Horizon (Dry Hop)
1 oz - Chinook (Dry Hop)

Latest posts

Back