In the market for a false bottom - driving me crazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
So i'm in the process of converting a keg to a mash tun and i've been looking at false bottoms for hours. It seems like the ones that come with dip tubes are 3/8" and I have 1/2" ball valves.

Are they all 3/8"?

Ok, would this work together?

False Bottom
11" Sanke Stainless Steel False Bottom: Fits the contours of a Sanke (commercial) keg. Made from 18 gauge stainless steel, contoured to fit a Sanke keg. Includes a flared dip tube to eliminate dislodging when stirring mash. Use the Sanke False Bottom Stainless Steel Adapter (this is not the one linked below) to connect the 3/8" tube to a 1/2" FNPT such as the bulkheads on the Weld-B-Gone kettle conversion kits.

Adapter
Sanke False Bottom Adapter - BRASS: To convert a Sanke (commercial) keg into a mash tun you need a 1/2" hole drilled toward the bottom of the keg, the Sanke false bottom adapter, a sanke false bottom , and Weld-B-Gone spigot. This piece connects the 3/8" SS tube on Sanke false bottom to the 1/2" FNPT Bulkhead on the Weld-B-Gone Kits.

Weldless Ball Valve Kit
Weld-B-Gone Basic + KETTLE Conversion- Brass with 1/2" Barb.: This is the same as the Basic model with a 1/2 inch barb attached to the ball valve for attaching high temp tubing. These innovative products are the highest quality available. All you need is a 7/8" drill bit. "Why pay a welder?" Zymico's entry level kettle fitting is anything but basic. The bulkhead fitting provides a watertight seal, and a 1/2" NPT port for attaching a ball valve or Bazooka Screen. Sized to fit perfectly into a Sanke keg or brew kettle.

So i'm in the process of converting a keg to a mash tun and i've been looking at false bottoms for hours. It seems like the ones that come with dip tubes are 3/8" and I have 1/2" ball valves.

Are they all 3/8"?

I bought my false bottom for a converted keg from Climax Homebrew and am real happy with it. Its sturdy and heavyweight. They sell a 1/2" dip tube too, but I made my own so I'm not sure how well it works. I think you need a 1/2" barb fitting in the mash tun to use theirs.

http://climaxhomebrew.com/index.php?main_page=product_reviews_info&products_id=2&reviews_id=1
V

I use a stainless steel brain in a cooler and works great...have not had a stuck mash so far. why wouldn't you just use that if you are not that worried about a few points less eff.?

I use a stainless steel brain in a cooler and works great...have not had a stuck mash so far. why wouldn't you just use that if you are not that worried about a few points less eff.?

I've been doing AG for well over a year now and I've used the braid exclusively in my cooler. I'm pretty rough with things and I tend to beat them up causing me to buy replacements every few months. I'm building a second brew system right now that will stay put in the house (electric) and the one I have complete I can take to group brews or work (LHBS).

You could go this route:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4468

with

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7021

The compression fitting is 1/2" NPT to 3/8" compression. That one is stainless; it would only cost a few dollars if you found it in brass.

I actually have this dip tube (it's unavailable on their site but they used to sell it by itself) connected via that compression fitting to my 1/2" ball valve. I don't have the false bottom so I can't speak for that. I used the dip tube for my keggle and strain hops with a big hop bag.

Have you checked out Jaybirds false bottoms? Check his post in the vendor showcase section. They are super sturdy, great guy to do business with. We've ordered 2 from him for our Sanke's. We opted to go for a larger 15" size with a dip tube hole in the middle, hinged so we can remove them easily. He'll do all that for ya.

Are they all 3/8"?
We can do anything you need and drill any size hole you want. I have plenty cut and ready to build to your spec. What ever you need when it comes to false bottoms, diptubes, stand offs and more.
Feel free to shoot me a PM

Have you checked out Jaybirds false bottoms? Check his post in the vendor showcase section. They are super sturdy, great guy to do business with. We've ordered 2 from him for our Sanke's. We opted to go for a larger 15" size with a dip tube hole in the middle, hinged so we can remove them easily. He'll do all that for ya.
Thanks for the shout out Matt. Yep as Matt said I can do all that and more.

Cheers
Jay

Back