In need of agood IPA extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OctoBrew

Reaction score
I've done 4 extract batches and my brother wants me to make him an IPA. What's a good, simple IPA extract kit (preferably from Midwest Supplies) that is a basic IPA.

NB has a very popular kit called Dead Ringer IPA. It's pretty basic and can be brewed in both 5gal and 1 gal batches. From Midwest, I'd go with the Fuggles IPA.

+1 on Dead Ringer. My daughter is an extract brewer and makes it and it's dee-lish. She also makes Jamil's Evil Twin which is tasty. I can second the Fuggles from MW or their Amarillo IPA but with each I would get an extra oz of hops to DH

You don't need to use a kit. Buying the ingredients alone will help you understand what you're putting into your brews better and will give you the opportunity to start developing your own recipes! Here's a simple IPA recipe I developed that would be good to start with:

8.5lbs Pale Liquid Malt Extract
1.5lbs Sugar
1lb Crystal 60L Steeping Grains
1.5oz Cascade Hop Pellets (60 minutes)
.5oz Cascade Hop Pellets (15 minutes)
.5oz Cascade Hop Pellets (5 minutes)
.5oz Cascade Hop Pellets (Flameout)
2oz Centennial Hop Pellets (Dry Hop 7 Days)
2oz Citra (Dry Hop 7 Days)
Nottingham Ale Yeast
3/4 cup priming sugar

There's nothing wrong with kits but by making your beers from ingredients that you select, you have greater control over the process and the end product. Just my $.02. I hope it comes out well either way.

Another vote for Dead Ringer. NB also has one called "Chinook IPA" that's really good too.

Latest posts

Back