In-Line flow control foaming and very low carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingDutchman

Reaction score
I purchased a CM Becker in line flow control unit so I would not need 500 feet (or so) of line on my 30 psi soda keg. It can be a real pain trying to manage all that hose inside my small 7 cu. ft keezer.

When I got it, I stuck it in the middle of a 4 foot line and fiddled with the adjustment screw until I got a 10 second pint. It worked great for a day, but then it started sputtering and pouring rather flat glasses. There seems to be quite a bit of turbulence in the flow control unit and I am wondering if this could be the cause of my losing carbonation.

Is there something I am doing wrong with this? Should it be closer to one end of the line or something like that? Cone direction?

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks,

I would put something like that as close to the keg post as possible.
I have flow meters on my keezer and they're all within a foot of the kegs and have no issues.

As to why that gadget is suddenly foaming: is it possible there were hop fragments in the beer that are collecting at the flow control?
Don't know anything about those things so the cone direction is by me...

Cheers!

Is this any better than a flow control faucet such as the Perlick 650SS? Because the 650ss is basically the same price and its actually a faucet, not just flow control.

I will try one closer to the keg and see if that helps. What kind of flow meters do you have? I have thought about building a few for my setup - so I don't lie awake all night hoping my keg doesn't unexpectedly go dry (Cenosillicaphobia is real!!!) - but if there are some that are "reasonably priced" (all things being relative), I may have to look into them.

As for why in-line rather than the 650ss,
I think the only advantage is the in-line ones are more portable. I use one with my smaller 1.5 and 2.5 gallon kegs and one on my soda keg. Both are regularly on the move and almost always on a picnic faucet.

That and I picked them up on sale. I'll probably go with the Perlick 650ss if I replace my current faucets.

Back