In line filter for Co2 needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoamFollower

Reaction score
Does anyone filter their Co2? I know it couldn't hurt, but is it necessary?
I have searched but can't find anything on this.
Thanks in advance.

Does anyone filter their Co2?
Yes, I do.

I know it couldn't hurt, but is it necessary?
That I don't know. I can't say I noticed any dramatic changes when I installed the filter the first time nor when I change it. For it to be effective (actually do anything) we would have to presume that the CO2 from the supplier contained some proportion of hydrogen sulfide or methane or something other than CO2 that we wouldn't want in the beer. One such thing is, of course, oxygen so that while I have always assumed the CO2 filters were GAC perhaps they contain oxygen absorbers as well.
[/QUOTE]

It's been explained to me that while a filter certainly doesn't hurt, it inst really needed. Welders rely on the CO2 being high quality for the integrity of their welds. So, the CO2 should be pretty "clean" as that goes.

Thank you fellow brewers. I guess if I can figure out what to use I will filter

Maybe pointless, but I work with gasses and I know they are not pure unless stated. My only concerns would be bits of metal (tiny, tiny of course) and especially traces of Mercaptan and H2s. Can't filter out any residual air...
Thanks for the link but at $125.00 or more, I think I'll pass

Totally pointless in my opinion, but knock yourself out.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004OYTILU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Just find one like that

No, don't. That's a particle filter (0.2 micron) and would not absorb H2S or mercaptans or anything like that and it is intended for filtering liquids (though obviously gas would flow through it too.

The Micromatic filter is intended for what you want a filter to do but you won't like the price much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe pointless, but I work with gasses and I know they are not pure unless stated. My only concerns would be bits of metal (tiny, tiny of course) and especially traces of Mercaptan and H2s. Can't filter out any residual air...
Thanks for the link but at $125.00 or more, I think I'll pass

It's cool... Go for it. I mean, it's clearly needed when just about nobody uses one. I doubt they even use them in bars. People love going overboard in this hobby, so knock your self out.

I predict You'll use it a few times then stop after you don't want to be bothered to replace it, up keep it...etc.

And that's the type I have, it's a disk with barbs on each end. Costs a few bucks. I just linked it because I saw it looked the same.

It's cool... Go for it. I mean, it's clearly needed when just about nobody uses one. I doubt they even use them in bars. People love going overboard in this hobby, so knock your self out.

I predict You'll use it a few times then stop after you don't want to be bothered to replace it, up keep it...etc.

And that's the type I have, it's a disk with barbs on each end. Costs a few bucks. I just linked it because I saw it looked the same.

They are widely used in bars.

I work for Millipore, and those are Aervent filters. They have a hydrophobic membrane, and are made to filter gases. Some of our customers use them to filter solvents and non aqueous products.

I've got so many of those around my lab. I've always wondered if I should take a few home and use them for my co2, but I'm just too lazy to bother. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to use them though.

My co2 tank is marked as food grade. Like for soda or beer. Not welding. So I don't filter it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back