Improvisation. Am I a dummy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
So I went nuts today with the new brew at the new house. Lots of firsts. First brew at the new place with little preparation. First time FWH. First low temp/90 min. mash. Only my third AG batch but I feel like I have my head around the process so RDWHAHB:rockin:. Everything went really well until it came time to chill. The reasons don't matter but I have no way to use my chiller here. It'll be an easy fix but at the moment it's not happening. So, that being said, I dumped the beer into my primary bucket, snapped on the top, plugged in the airlock, shoved a cotton ball dipped in rubbing alcohol just under the cap and threw it in a fridge. I can't for the life of me see it being a problem I'll just wake up in the morning and pitch. I kept saying to myself "no chill" but I hadn't even looked at the method with much more than a glance. It seems I read though that the no chill containers are completely sealed. Dunno. I've rambled enough. Anyone see a problem with my improv?

dang cu, when we talked you was all grins and now your worrying?:D you'll probably have some chill haze from the non chill but dont worry man it'll still be beer right?

what did you do to your chiller? call me if you' rather.

Just a fitting problem erik. Nothing I can't fix when I get to a hardware store.

The bucket's warming my beers in the fridge now:D. Lots of experiments with this batch should be a fun one to pour and tell storys about. Last of my homegrown cascade as well.

So I went nuts today with the new brew at the new house. Lots of firsts. First brew at the new place with little preparation. First time FWH. First low temp/90 min. mash. Only my third AG batch but I feel like I have my head around the process so RDWHAHB:rockin:. Everything went really well until it came time to chill. The reasons don't matter but I have no way to use my chiller here. It'll be an easy fix but at the moment it's not happening. So, that being said, I dumped the beer into my primary bucket, snapped on the top, plugged in the airlock, shoved a cotton ball dipped in rubbing alcohol just under the cap and threw it in a fridge. I can't for the life of me see it being a problem I'll just wake up in the morning and pitch. I kept saying to myself "no chill" but I hadn't even looked at the method with much more than a glance. It seems I read though that the no chill containers are completely sealed. Dunno. I've rambled enough. Anyone see a problem with my improv?

I think you'll make beer. The main issue I see is that it might take a while to cool--check temp in the morning before you pitch. I'd tell you to RDWHAHB, but you already did. So RDWHanotherHB!

She was down to 70 by 10:00 yesterday. Everything looked normal so I took a gravity reading(78% eff:D) and pitched. When I left for work this morning it'd started so all appears to be well.

You'll be fine. My standard procedure is very similar except I use a really long blowoff tube and I don't refrigerate the wort. I'd be more worried about how hard your fridge is working to cool down 5 gallons of near-boiling liquid than I would be about your batch. Watch out. I also discovered no chill by accident. The technique has a tendency to grow on you :)

Back