Imported English ale vs. local ale (English BLOWS away local!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the risk of grossly misunderstanding this thread and offending its readers, I have to say that the first and only two English ales that I have tried (Fuller's London Pride and Marston's Pedigree) have humbled me with regard to beer.

England makes some quality beers. I think this thread would have been OK if not for the "...anyone with any true experience..." sentence.

The OP is correct and you are all a bunch of EACs! If it were not for the British losing the war of independence you guys would all be speaking English now!

Oh buggar! Which way to the drunken mumblings and mindless ramblings fred?

Is it okay to add to this thread with another question? I don't want to step on the OP, but, I have this ingredient I tried in one of my beers...I didn't like it, please tell me why.

Please help, I'm at my wits end trying to understand!!!

You don't like it because it tastes bad to you. Try using less of it.

See, I'm just full of experience and wisdom.

How did I do? :mug:

Canadian beer sucks*, next question.

*Except for Deu De Ciel

Yeah that dotted line on the map truly separates the understanding and implementation of quality brewing.
Your statement is ignorant!
I could say American hockey players suck. Another ignorant statement but one that would satisfy many good old homeboys here. The generald public here in Canada thinks American beer is laughable, more ignorance. We're not Oregon but our microbrew industry is growing fast and some amazing product is being produced.:mug:

Yeah that dotted line on the map truly separates the understanding and implementation of quality brewing.
I could say American hockey players suck. Another ignorant statement but one that would satisfy many good old homeboys here. The generald public here in Canada thinks American beer is laughable, more ignorance. We're not Oregon but our microbrew industry is growing fast and some amazing product is being produced.:mug:

It's a solid line on my map.

I'll bet I've had a higher proportion of Canadian craft beer than you have US craft beer by a long shot.

Yes, I agree. The knowledgeable beer world is very small. My only point was that the OP likely doesn't know his as5 from his head when it comes to beer. That isn't necessarily a bad thing at all... until you come to a beer forum and start berating those trying to help you.

When did this become a Canada bashing thread? I've had some good beers from both sides of the border, I've also had some stinkers from both sides too. The big thing about beers to me is how dramatically different everyone's tastes are. I've picked up beers that people have said are great and I've hated them. If we all liked the same thing we would all just drink Bud.

Back to the topic I just made a special trip to pick up a bottle of St Peters English ale. I also picked up a Hockley Dark Traditional English ale, Young's Double chocolate Stout, ans Devil's pale ale (Great Lakes Brewery (the Canada one not the one in cleveland)) I will later tonight declare a beer the winner of the first annual jspence1 beer taste test challenge!

When did this become a Canada bashing thread? I've had some good beers from both sides of the border, I've also had some stinkers from both sides too. The big thing about beers to me is how dramatically different everyone's tastes are. I've picked up beers that people have said are great and I've hated them. If we all liked the same thing we would all just drink Bud.

Back to the topic I just made a special trip to pick up a bottle of St Peters English ale. I also picked up a Hockley Dark Traditional English ale, Young's Double chocolate Stout, ans Devil's pale ale (Great Lakes Brewery (the Canada one not the one in cleveland)) I will later tonight declare a beer the winner of the first annual jspence1 beer taste test challenge!

Not sure this thread seemed to be a US made English Ale Bashing vs English Ale. Now it's a US vs the world thread with alot of Canada bashing.

I like a lot of beers I only hate two now I'm not a hugh fan of some but respect them just the same.

I'm like a pregnant lady when it comes to beer, it's about what I'm craving at the time but I do have my favs....

Point is the started of the thread was okay except for the bashing other brewers then he was pounced on by all. Now people are just pouncing on whoever for what ever some are riding coat tails of some good smack talk but it's freakin funny stuff.

I'm not sure who has the best beer but I'll say this Canada whips our as$ at the falls cauase our side is a dump compared to theirs....(Side note spend many many many days in orchard park area so know a little bit about the area and enjoyed many beers on both sides of the dotted line of some and the solid line of the others.....:rockin:

I agree think we should all do some taste testing of these beers....thing clone and improve the winnner.

You should try American beer some time, it'll knock your socks off.

Oh, for sure. Like all beer lovers, I'm tremendously excited by the beer scene in the U.S. Long gone are the days when we Canadians could feel smug about Molson Canadian stacked against Miller.

All the same, I have read that the American craft brewing movement was in large measure stimulated by Americans who had tried English beer, and wanted to replicate it at home. All I'm saying is that after having tried real English ale, I no longer think that replicating it is easy.

I thought all threads eventually devolved into Canada bashing. Isn't there a Godwin's Law aboot that?

(Personally, I loved Molson Ice in high school and still drink it from time to time.)

Oh, for sure. Like all beer lovers, I'm tremendously excited by the beer scene in the U.S. Long gone are the days when we Canadians could feel smug about Molson Canadian stacked against Miller.

All the same, I have read that the American craft brewing movement was in large measure stimulated by Americans who had tried English beer, and wanted to replicate it at home. All I'm saying is that after having tried real English ale, I no longer think that replicating it is easy.

That's certainly true, most early American craft and home brewers were making English styles.

That's certainly true, most early American craft and home brewers were making English styles.

Quie true, in fact.

When I originally started deviating from fizzy yellow beer in the beginning of the '90's, the only real options were UK imports. And I'm glad for it.

That led me into brewing my own browns and porters.

I tried to make a point earlier about the Steamwhistle. A true pils is a hard beer to make, and they make it well! But all the OP could think was to dismiss me because it's not an english ale.

Well don't forget before the wars and prohibition America actually did make good beer thanks to beer loving immigrants.

Now it's almost like comparing apples and oranges when you're talking about Micro and Craft brewers of the US or any where else. It's a fondness and a craft that unites us.

Think of all the innovation, just throwing things that sound good in a pot and seeing what happens. It's great. And technically the most traditional thing in brewing.

From what I'm starting to notice in regards to "national tastes" and beer. American beer is starting to evolve into a very hop-centric style apart from pales even.

And it's all thanks to all the craft and micro breweries out there. After all those are the guys winning the international awards and recognition. And the reason all the crap "big name" corporations are trying to put a craft-wise spin on their ads.

So aside from Canada's "big names" brews. I'm fairly certain there have to be good craft brewers up there.

But I do think Canada sucks. lol Cause their government lets their telecommunications companies or whatever do way too much regulation of the net. Unless I find a back door link, I can't watch Jimmy Two Shoes shorts on Teletoon or watch new and different music videos on Much Music because i'm not in the "right region". How am I supposed to find music I like months before it hits the US?

Why the virtual walls Canada? Why?:confused:

On my map, there is just a line, actually a double thick line, with nothing on the northern side. Except for a picture of a dude going bonkers with a bottle of St. Peter's.

That made me spit out the saison I was drinking...funny.

So aside from Canada's "big names" brews. I'm fairly certain there have to be good craft brewers up there.

But I do think Canada sucks. lol Cause their government lets their telecommunications companies or whatever do way too much regulation of the net. Unless I find a back door link, I can't watch Jimmy Two Shoes shorts on Teletoon or watch new and different music videos on Much Music because i'm not in the "right region". How am I supposed to find music I like months before it hits the US?

Why the virtual walls Canada? Why?:confused:

You should try living in canada and not having acess to NBC online content, Hulu, or any other streaming video based out of the states. Watching tv online rather then paying for cable sucks in Canada.

There are some great craft beers up here though. Mill St (toronto), Hockley (orangeville?) Beaus all natural (Ottawa area) all make some great brews. In Quebec there is some stuff that gets pretty intense.

My Oatmeal Stout recipe is better than Guinness.............
:eek::eek:GASP!..........Blasphemy!!...............Stone him!!!!
I'm just sayin.....

Funny thing though with our friend from Toronto, I understand where he's coming from, and I don't mean Mississauga. Many times I've tasted a beer and have been totally smitten and then after extensive searching I'm able to find it again only to be less than impressed. It does have alot to do with what you have been drinking and eating at the time. I've never had a St. Peters Ale I'll have to search it out, taste it, then try and clone it of course (I still like my oatmeal stout better than Guinness):eek:

Guiness isn't an oatmeal stout.

Its a dry stout, and its pretty much the quintessential example of one.

That troll was pretty successful. :(

Anyway, I love me some Unibroue. One of the best breweries around in terms of consistently great beer in my opinion. I happen like like Canada!

I've discovered the 3rd dimension in the St Peters, I'm sorry to say my friend its skunk.

I bought a couple of different St. Peters a long time ago and shared them with a friend. I was completely disappointed by the severe skunkiness. He loved them.

That taste has kept me from trying them again. But the bottles are cool. I should choke some down just for the bottles.

The OP is deluded. Almost without exception, English beer in bottles or cans suck compared to cask drawn in a pub. Especially after they have been shipped to the US then stored by beer shops. (Yes, I used the word shop deliberately)

This is the primary reason that I brew my own.

Anyone who thinks Canadian beer sucks has never had the pleasure of drinking any of Phillips Brewing beers. Nor, to name a few, Granville Island Brewing or Vancouver Island Brewing.

Back