Important Statement From Midwest Supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's half my point...other companies may be as bad. It just seems a bit hypocritical to take one's business elsewere, while acknowledging (or not considering) elsewhere may not have any better security than MWS (did).

How is it hypocritical? For instance, I have used Rebel Brewer in the past. They may or may not have superior security but I DO KNOW for a fact that Midwest was lazy about it.

In one case, I know Midwest did not take security seriously. The other is an unknown but I will take my business elsewhere if shown to not take stuff seriously. AND if everyone does the same, it sends a HUGE signal to the other stores that they risk ruin if they don't take things seriously.

I take my business elsewhere as a statement that I will not do businesses that don't take security seriously.

So they offer $25 off coupons (not good for shipping!) to a ton of customers who will probably not shop with them again (hence not use the coupons). I suppose that's one way to pretend to make things right and minimize profit losses all at the same time.

The issue is not that Midwest was hacked. That can happen. The problem really is that people feel as though they've done a very poor job handling the crisis.

The good news, undoubtedly Midwest folks ARE monitoring this thread and you can bet they are recognizing how seriously their poor situation management is effecting them.

I suspect they'll work very hard to avoid this kind of debacle in the future.

They screwed up big-time and I expect they are as chagrined as anybody about it. I don't know if I'll use them again or not, but if I do, I'll only go through paypal. (That's what I've used with them in the past, and is likely why I haven't seen funky transactions.)

The issue is not that Midwest was hacked. That can happen. The problem really is that people feel as though they've done a very poor job handling the crisis.

The good news, undoubtedly Midwest folks ARE monitoring this thread and you can bet they are recognizing how seriously their poor situation management is effecting them.

I suspect they'll work very hard to avoid this kind of debacle in the future.

They screwed up big-time and I expect they are as chagrined as anybody about it. I don't know if I'll use them again or not, but if I do, I'll only go through paypal. (That's what I've used with them in the past, and is likely why I haven't seen funky transactions.)

If they wanted to earn trust, they would explain what happened and why. By not explaining, I am left to assume that they really had some amatuer crap going on.

If they explained what they did (for better or worse) and explained how they were resolving it, it would go a LONG way to making me reconsider them.

But without knowing how and why this happened, I cannot use them again.

Like the saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". Well the only way I won't be fooled is avoiding them at this point.

It is amazing to me that they haven't replied to this thread to try and gain some support back.

Check out beveragefactory.com

I've found that Kegconnection normally has better prices. I did have an issue with a bent ball lock keg lid on one order. They shipped a replacement without any issue.

I'm lucky in that I have a very well stocked & experienced LHBS less than ten minutes away. No issues w/ stored CC info and they're rarely out of stock on anything.
I did make a few purchases from NB early on but that's now going to come to an end.

This, but you also have to watch all of those as well.

My LHBS fat fingered a 40 dollar order into a 400 dollar order and neither of us noticed. They were very fast to refund me the next day though.

Probably the smartest thing i did long ago was set up my account to notify me via email of any purchase over 100 dollars. Also have Mint.com doing the same.

Now, can someone tell me what kind of identity theft is possible with the information that was stolen from Midwest (address/name/CC #)? It's not like someone can open another CC account in my name without my birthdate and SSN, right? Though I suppose they could steal that from somewhere else.

Once the affected credit card has been canceled and replaced, the hackers can do nothing with the information. It's worthless.

That's why I kind of chuckle at people in this thread who are crying for a lifetime of free identity protection. As if having a credit card number stolen entitles you to that. Get a grip, folks.

How is it hypocritical? For instance, I have used Rebel Brewer in the past. They may or may not have superior security but I DO KNOW for a fact that Midwest was lazy about it.

In one case, I know Midwest did not take security seriously. The other is an unknown but I will take my business elsewhere if shown to not take stuff seriously. AND if everyone does the same, it sends a HUGE signal to the other stores that they risk ruin if they don't take things seriously.

I take my business elsewhere as a statement that I will not do businesses that don't take security seriously.

It's hypocritical because you acknowledge you're going to take your business elsewhere, assuming the other places are doing things you're trying to punish MSW for not doing.

It's hypocritical because you acknowledge you're going to take your business elsewhere, assuming the other places are doing things you're trying to punish MSW for not doing.

Do you not see the difference? One place, Midwest, obviously did not take security seriously. There is no evidence that someone like Rebel Brewer isn't taking it seriously. Lack of evidence is not evidence.

And again, if Rebel isn't taking security seriously, I will leave them as well.

Count me in as another with a compromised account. My bank noticed the errant charges and contacted me right away, stopped all transactions, and cancelled my card. Fortunately Citibank was on the ball, since MW clearly doesn't know what they're doing. I received my letter from MW yesterday. I will delete my MW account and never order from them or affiliates again. I guess if they handled things differently I might still give them a chance, but seriously the only recompense, a $25 gift card. FU!

I will probably continue to do business with NB

Todd H (Northern Brewer)

Hi (your name here),

We are the same company but separate brands. We have a web site and customer accounts completely separate from Midwest. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!

So no matter what a merchant may do to compromise your account information you would never stop shopping with them because other merchants also have the potential to do the same?

beernutz said:
So no matter what a merchant may do to compromise your account information you would never stop shopping with them because other merchants also have the potential to do the same?

I'm not effected by this whole thing bc I never used MW, but logically thinking a place that got hacked would then be on top of things big time going forward where others who haven't been might not be as vigilant. I'd think that now that the issue is resolved with MW they'd be one to not have this happen again..

Not to say my thinking is totally sound/correct or that anyone is wrong to find other retailers or be upset, I would be too!

They never said what happened or what they did to fix it. If you are going to be straight with your customers do not expect them to be with you very long.

I'm not effected by this whole thing bc I never used MW, but logically thinking a place that got hacked would then be on top of things big time going forward where others who haven't been might not be as vigilant. I'd think that now that the issue is resolved with MW they'd be one to not have this happen again..

Not to say my thinking is totally sound/correct or that anyone is wrong to find other retailers or be upset, I would be too!

Im also not affected because Ive never used MW. Just to play devil advocate to your rational. It could be logical to think that a place that was lax in security might be so again while a company that has not been breached might be that way because they were more vigilant all along.

Also, not to say that my reasoning is correct, just a possibility. I know I would be really upset if I had gotten caught up in this mess.

Now that all y'all quit orderin' from Midwest my orders are shippin' faster than ever. Plus I only get a new credit card issued once every two weeks. That ain't so bad now is it?

Seriously though, I'm leary of most homegrown systems/websites. I don't know if their website/merchant integration was homegrown or professional; or even if they had a professional IT guy in house.

At any rate, if I could be assured that the problems have been resolved, I wouldn't have a problem shopping with them again (except for that slight issue with the darn orders not shipping within 24-48 hrs... what's up with that?).

Perhaps it's the stigma of seeing that website; and that darn checkbox (that I pointed out and asked to have changed in the previous thread) to save my information, that makes me leery of using the site again.

Never had a problem with NB because it's different software (Magento eCommerce?), probably on a different server or virtual machine. (I'm guessing NB is using some homegrown software themselves behind the scenes.)

Well tested commercial software, combined with a knowledgeable systems administrator and up to date OS/DB/etc... usually! (not always!) makes for a secure system.

I've had credit card numbers stolen before, it's not a huge deal, just annoying that you're left without your card for a week or so. I've never dealt with a CC company who doesn't fully cover fraudulent charges.

Obviously we'll probably never get an answer as to who was in charge of the darn server, how the malware got installed etc... but there has to be some sort of assurance that this breech in security has been resolved.

Working in IT myself, I know that security is an ever-present and ongoing process. It takes constant monitoring, updating and watching.

So part of me says screw 'em and part of me says, give 'em a break, what if you were the guy in charge of that server, would you have noticed the breach? Would you have kept it up to date? Would it have made it past you? How supportive of this person was Midwest? etc...

It's easy to place blame (which I'm guilty of) but then you walk a mile in another man's shoe and quickly see what's really goin' down...

I want to make it completely clear that I'm not leaving Midwest because they were hacked or even that the hackers got my cc info. I'm leaving midwest because they lied to us. They said it wasn't them flat out. They should have said we're investigating it, but they didn't. I just think they have handled this whole thing wrong from the start, and this $25 gc is like salt on the wound.

I want to make it completely clear that I'm not leaving Midwest because they were hacked or even that the hackers got my cc info. I'm leaving midwest because they lied to us. They said it wasn't them flat out. They should have said we're investigating it, but they didn't. I just think they have handled this whole thing wrong from the start, and this $25 gc is like salt on the wound.

The question is, what is the context to "it isn't our problem."

In a normal company the management would've went to the IT and asked 'Was our server breached?'

IT, fearing for their jobs/reputation, would respond, 'Well it passed the PCI check!'

My guess is, that it's that type of miscommunication that occurred.

Did they lie? Yes. Did they lie blatantly, through their teeth? It's a best guess as to what they were told by the IT.

Management would then call in a third party, who would catch the problem, but by then you've dismissed the problem publicly.

At any rate, that's just my take on it. It could swing either way, I suppose.

So part of me says screw 'em and part of me says, give 'em a break...

It's easy to place blame (which I'm guilty of) but then you walk a mile in another man's shoe and quickly see what's really goin' down...

Getting hacked is a risk that all online vendors take. Most consumers understand that and are willing to give some leeway. What I and many others can not excuse is how Midwest responded to the situation. Denial, blame shifting and avoidance.

Austin Homebrew was hacked. They admitted it, made amends and their customers stood by them (for the most part). Midwest failed to act in good faith and now they have lost me as a customer.

We regret not providing an update sooner, but we did not want to comment publicly until our investigation was complete and we were able to identify and notify those potentially affected.

Our investigation has now been completed and we are satisfied that the situation has been resolved and that all affected customers have been identified.

Here they say they were "investigating" this. Why didn't they say that in the forum instead of " its not us"

I have a serious problem with that!

In a normal company the management would've went to the IT and asked 'Was our server breached?'

IT, fearing for their jobs/reputation, would respond, 'Well it passed the PCI check!'

If that's what happened, management
needed to be smart enough to realize IT didn't answer the question that was asked. IT also needs to be smart enough to raise potential problems ahead of time, and document the response from management or lack thereof. Unfortunately the odds of us ever seeing those internal communications are slim and none.

Getting hacked is a risk that all online vendors take. Most consumers understand that and are willing to give some leeway. What I and many others can not excuse is how Midwest responded to the situation. Denial, blame shifting and avoidance.

Austin Homebrew was hacked. They admitted it, made amends and their customers stood by them (for the most part). Midwest failed to act in good faith and now they have lost me as a customer.

Understood. My point is simply that the entire context of the situation will probably never be known and the image presented to the public may have been distorted by internal politics.

I got the letter yesterday. Up until this point ( I don't frequent the forums a lot) I didn't realize there was an issue. I never got any fraudulent charges, perhaps I was lucky. I do a lot of online shopping and over the past 8 years or so my credit card has been used fraudulently 3 times. Never once, until this have I got a notice of a breach from anyone. Obviously Midwest could have handled it better (more promptly), but after being compromised 3 other times I don't get that excited about it. I file a form listing charges that weren't mine and my account is corrected in a few days and a new card sent. Part of the risk of shopping online, and its not even that risky since you're liability is limited. Inconvenience, yes, tragedy, no. I don't shop Midwest that much anyway because I comparison shop first and they often are not the cheapest, but if they have something I want I will still probably shop there. I don't know exactly what happened or where the compromise occurred, but a lot retailers farm out credit card processing to third parties.

I think one lesson anyone should take from this is set up email alerts on your credit card account. Anytime a charge goes through I get an email instantly. That's how I've caught all the other fraud cases and reported within at most hours if they happened while I was asleep.

As an IT professional and someone who's credit card was used fraudulently after buying from Midwest, I'd like a better explanation of exactly what happened. Details.

I want to know this too, I luckily had my cc company refuse the random charges that I had but I still had to get a new cc while on vacation which was a pain in the rear

This explains everything. My CC was compromised and someone tried to buy an AR-14 assault rifle and a new Canon DSLR. Everything was denied so no money lost, but **** midwest supplies. I'm done shopping there.

This x100000. I toned down my original response, but there really is absolutely NO excuse whatsoever for what happened. Having your server with CC #'s connected through the web? Absolutely ridiculous. That reddit discussion gets into where PCI compliance people can attest to the fact that what was done was inexcusable.

I will not be shopping with Midwest in the future, and will recommend that all friends go elsewhere (not even NB if possible, since they own Midwest). And assuming I was indeed a victim of this and get a $25 GC --- well, you can put it you-know-where.

I am in the same boat. I had two fraudulent charges from Western Union last month that totaled $715. The charges resulted in NSF fees as I was not aware of them until it was too late. I have blocked my card and my bank has temporarily credited me for the charges and fees pending an investigation. I will be forwarding them a copy of the letter. This was a major PITA for me!

If that's what happened, management
needed to be smart enough to realize IT didn't answer the question that was asked. IT also needs to be smart enough to raise potential problems ahead of time, and document the response from management or lack thereof. Unfortunately the odds of us ever seeing those internal communications are slim and none.

Agree, all that example stated was that if MW has that kind of corporate culture (lie, hide info, avoid the problems) then this would be bound to happen. And if that was the case the IT department and directors need a serious shake up.
If this was a big international company you would have seen resignations from the board and management by now.
Although the departure of the CIO on July 25th is a bit suspiciuos :D
This is humorous. A job listing for a VP of IT/eCommerce at Northern Brewer on July 25th. Also confirms the merger of Midwest and NB. Talks about David Kidd (he's an Eagle Scout but apparently didn't get the data security merit badge).

He raved about the outgoing CIO.

I assume the job's been filled. Nice firestorm that person just walked into.

http://ecommercejobs.com/2013/07/northern-brewer-seeks-a-vp-of-it-ecommerce-st-paul-mn.html

I still have a few doubts that they are taking the matters seriously. Their first issue is storing CCV numbers in their database. This is a no-no in the PCI world.

Also their website still seems pretty insecure, as even their forums are to this day running an old outdated version with multiple vulnerabilities. (just check the stock phpbb changelog on the midwest site, and compare their running version to issues on google.) So should they get our business back? I know they are not getting mine. This whole incident was handled very poorly. At least Austin Homebrew when they were hacked fessed up right away, and fixed all their systems.

I read through this post and the original post started back in the beginning of July and I am a little lost. I cant find a single post in the last thread where they said flat out that it was not them. The last post in that thread they made was about there third party investigation and said it was still ongoing. They have also said that they don't store your complete cc info on there server only the last 4 digits and expiration date, and you can opt out of that. They also stated in the first post here that the info was captured at the time of the transaction. To me this says that there was some sort of malicious software in there network capturing the info and sending it to the hacker. I have never purchased anything from them but reading all this would not keep me from doing so in the future. To me some of these posts look like those advertisements you see around election time if you know what I mean.

I am in the same boat. I had two fraudulent charges from Western Union last month that totaled $715. The charges resulted in NSF fees as I was not aware of them until it was too late. I have blocked my card and my bank has temporarily credited me for the charges and fees pending an investigation. I will be forwarding them a copy of the letter. This was a major PITA for me!

if you got NSF fees it must have been debit. I would advise against using debit, especially online because of things like this. It can tie up funds you need or don't even have. Not to mention debit liability is different from credit. At least on credit you have time to dispute and resolve the charges before you would be out any money.

I read through this post and the original post started back in the beginning of July and I am a little lost. I cant find a single post in the last thread where they said flat out that it was not them. The last post in that thread they made was about there third party investigation and said it was still ongoing. They have also said that they don't store your complete cc info on there server only the last 4 digits and expiration date, and you can opt out of that. They also stated in the first post here that the info was captured at the time of the transaction. To me this says that there was some sort of malicious software in there network capturing the info and sending it to the hacker. I have never purchased anything from them but reading all this would not keep me from doing so in the future. To me some of these posts look like those advertisements you see around election time if you know what I mean.

Post #34 in the original thread, from MidwestSupplies:
"Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread and contacted us regarding your concerns. At Midwest Supplies we take our customers' data and information security seriously. After thoroughly investigating the concerns in this thread, we do not believe they were related to purchases made at Midwest Supplies. If anything changes we will let you know. If anyone has concerns regarding their order or credit card data, please contact our customer service team at 888-449-2739 or [email protected].

We value the trust our customers place in us every time they order from Midwest Supplies. We take this trust seriously: our website is secure and encrypted, it is scanned daily to guard against any attacks, we are PCI compliant, we maintain cyber insurance, all of our employees must pass criminal background checks, and we do not store credit card information on any of our systems.

As fellow brewers and winemakers, we want to make sure you can focus on making the best possible beer or wine, every time. We will do our best to guard your information and maintain your trust.

Thanks again and Cheers."

In the original thread post #52

We wanted to provide you an update on our on-going investigation into the credit card security matters raised in this Forum.

As part of our investigation, we have involved a number of third-party specialists in web server management, website applications management, website security and credit card processing. Each of these parties, in coordination with the others, has undertaken to assess how and when credit card data could have been compromised.

One of the complicating factors to the investigation is that we store no credit card data. All credit card information is transmitted securely to the credit card processors at the time of the transaction; no credit card information is retained.

A second complicating factor is that the credit cards in question were last used for a Midwest Supplies purchase during a wide ranging period, weeks to months before the fraudulent activity took place.

At this point, none of the third-parties nor our own team have identified how or when credit card data could have been compromised.

We take data security very seriously and are working to complete our investigation as soon as possible.

If anyone has concerns regarding their order or credit card data, please contact me directly at [email protected] or 952-562-5354.

Thanks again and Cheers.
Todd Jackson
Customer Service Manager
Midwest Supplies

This says they where still trying to figure out what happened.

In the original thread post #52

We wanted to provide you an update on our on-going investigation into the credit card security matters raised in this Forum.

As part of our investigation, we have involved a number of third-party specialists in web server management, website applications management, website security and credit card processing. Each of these parties, in coordination with the others, has undertaken to assess how and when credit card data could have been compromised.

One of the complicating factors to the investigation is that we store no credit card data. All credit card information is transmitted securely to the credit card processors at the time of the transaction; no credit card information is retained.

A second complicating factor is that the credit cards in question were last used for a Midwest Supplies purchase during a wide ranging period, weeks to months before the fraudulent activity took place.

At this point, none of the third-parties nor our own team have identified how or when credit card data could have been compromised.

We take data security very seriously and are working to complete our investigation as soon as possible.

If anyone has concerns regarding their order or credit card data, please contact me directly at [email protected] or 952-562-5354.

Thanks again and Cheers.
Todd Jackson
Customer Service Manager
Midwest Supplies

This says they where still trying to figure out what happened.

That post was on 07/09, and that's the last we hear from Midwest until 09/02. However, in their notice to the NH AG's Office, they acknowledge that they knew about the compromise "for sure" on 08/22, and state that they received preliminary information about a possible compromise on 07/19... But wait, they posted on 07/09 that they "didn't think" it was them... :confused:

I think everyone's pissed at MWS because instead of just coming right out and saying, "Oh $hit, we might have a problem here" they blew smoke up everyone's kilts and said they didn't think it was them. Just my 2 cents though.

Back