Imperial Pumpkin Stout advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyb85

Reaction score
Hey fellow brewers,

On friday I'll be brewing up a ~12% Imp. Pumpkin Stout.

Recipe:
10 lbs Maris Otter
10 lbs Golden Promise
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Flaked Barley
4oz Black Debittered Malt
4 oz Roasted Barley
5 lbs Roasted Pumpkin
0.75 lbs Molasses
2oz Chinook for 60m
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale

I'm looking for some advice/opinions. Two things I know this forum has plenty of.

First thing: Im toying with the idea of starting my mash around midnight on thursday and then draining and sparging Friday morning around 8 when i wake up. I know if the temp drops too low i run into the risk of souring the mash. I plan to mash @ 156 F and the mash volume should be around 9.57 gallons of my 10 gallons MLT so I dont think i should have too much of a temp drop mashing in-doors overnight. Regardless what are your thoughts on that?

Secondly: I want to use some cinnamon and nutmeg in this beer along with the 5 lbs of pumpkin ill be roasting in the oven (yes im using canned cuz im brewing this too late) I was originally going to use the spices in the boil during the last 5m however today i thought i might add them to the pumpkin when i roast it. I was going to use 1 tsp of cinnamon and .5 tsp of nutmeg for the 5 gallon batch and sprinkle 4oz of dark brown sugar on top for sh*ts and giggles. Am i using enought spices for the 5 gallon batch? Should i put them in the boil or roast them in the pumpkin?

And.... GO! :mug:

+1 to spice additions after primary fermentation. Also you're going to want to use rice hulls with the pumpkin purée.

yeah im definitely going to use rice hulls for sure. Ill definitely think about the pumpkin in the fermenter

You're going to want to mash the pumpkin to convert its starches into fermentable sugars. Also when you mash it instead of putting it into the secondary, your finished beer will be much, much clearer. Happy brewing, let us know how this comes out!

Back