Imperial Organic Barbarian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrankGoodness

Reaction score
I'm using the new Imperial Organic Barbarian yeast in my 1st attempt at a Green Flash Soul IPA inspired recipe. 5 gal batch, 1.068 OG pitched the contents of the can without a starter at 64.

It's day 6 and I have temps at around 66; krausen dropped, small rafts of yeast on top and some active in suspension still. I'll start letting temps ramp up over the next couple of days and see what happens.

i ramped up my temp to 72 and let Barbarian work for another week (14 days total). Ended up at 1.018.. a tad higher than I was shooting for (1.012). Now dry hopping.

I have used Barbarian 3 times now. First batch was an APA OG 1.050 FG 1.014. Let it ferment at room temps for 14 days approx. 68F. The second batch was a Braggot. OG 1.064 FG 0.999. 2 weeks at about 68F. Third batch is still in the fermenter so no data yet. It is another Braggot with an OG of 1.091.

Is barbarian supposed to be another Conan? I don't have any experience with Imperial Organic yeasts, but those FGs look kinda high

Is barbarian supposed to be another Conan? I don't have any experience with Imperial Organic yeasts, but those FGs look kinda high
yup, it's conan. as i've ranted previously conan has consistently underwhelmed me with its inability to attenuation. i have no problem getting other yeasts to dry out beers for me, but i can't get conan to go below 1.020. some folks have had similar experiences, while others have no problems at all getting conan to dry out a beer. IMO this yeast should be renamed "YMMV" :D

FWIW, Ive found Conan's attenuation bumps up in subsequent generations. Ive got mine from Omega yeast going on like 15 generations by now and it always hits 80% or more

yes, i'm coming to the conclusion that should re-use conan to get best results. i've only ever used first generation (second if you count the starter), it's one-and-done with me. ever since the kids arrived i don't get to brew often enough to re-use a yeast.

if i try conan again, i will try adding hops to the starter. maybe 40-50 IBUs, with a late addition of a pellet or two, to get the yeast used to the presence of hops. maybe this will "toughen up" the yeast and get it acclimatized to its eventual fate - fermenting a highly hopped beer.

yup, it's conan. as i've ranted previously conan has consistently underwhelmed me with its inability to attenuation. i have no problem getting other yeasts to dry out beers for me, but i can't get conan to go below 1.020. some folks have had similar experiences, while others have no problems at all getting conan to dry out a beer. IMO this yeast should be renamed "YMMV" :D

I've had pretty good success with attenuation with conan, but I've made sure to bump the temp up to 70-72 towards the end of primary ferment. Last IPA I made with it went down to 1.006, this was without any crystal malts though.

Latest posts

Back