Imperial Mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godofcheese

Reaction score
Ok, So I was catching up on the brewdogs blog and saw they were making a 1.1abv beer with over 200ibu. While that along does sound rather amusing, I thought why not take the hops down to a level that I can afford and bring up the abv to around 3. Here are my first thoughts. Suggestions would be great.

Imperial Mild:

Batch size 5 gallons
Boil size 6.7 gallons
Boil time 60 minutes
Grain weight 6 pounds
Efficiency 70%
Original gravity 1.035
Final gravity 1.012
Alcohol (by volume) 3.1%
Bitterness (IBU) 81
Color (SRM) 13.8°L

Grains:
Munich LME - 3lbs
CaraMunich - 2lbs
Maris Otter - 1lb

Hops:
Glacier - 1oz - First Wort Hopping (putting it in while steeping grains)
Magnum - 1 oz - 60 min
Glacier - .5 oz - 20 min
Glacier - .5 oz - 5 min

Yeast:
White Labs WLP 002 English Ale

I'm all for trying something different and doing what you like, but, honestly, I can't imagine this will taste particularly good, unless you like to chew on hop pellets. Your bitterness ratio is something like 2.3. Hoppy IIPAs only get to about 1.3.

Hmm, I made a mild early this morning and I had .5 oz of 5% AA hops... You've certainly out done me in IBUs, but I am kind of concerned about how yours will taste...

why so much caramunich malt? I'm just wondering. It seems like it would be cloyingly sweet and also highly hopped (bitter). I don't think that much crystal would be good in a 1.035 beer.

Ok, the Huge hops was the idea here.

As for why the caramunich, because I don't know what I am doing . . . . :p

no problem with Huge hops (this just seems like so much as to make it Not-Very-Tasty Hops)...and if you want to do this, you should...but maybe make it a 1/2 batch.

No question there. I always run at 1 gal batch first.

Latest posts

Back