Immersion Chiller - FTW!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZombieBrew83

Reaction score
I bought a 50' 3/8" Copper IC from nybrewsupply.com a couple weeks ago as a gift to myself. I've been cooling my wort by adding 1.5 gallons of sanitized ice to the BK and using a cool water bath. Although this method worked, it tied up space in our freezer for a couple days and required some extra work/planning preparing the ice.

So last night I took my shinny new IC for it's maiden voyage with rousing success. I managed to get 4.5 gallons (I undershot my boil off rate) from boiling down to 90 in less than 10 minutes!! I finally finished at about 66 degrees after 20 minutes total. All I did was monitor the cold water flow rate and stir the wort while Minneapolis city water did the rest.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who shared their stories of success (and failure) using an IC! You took all the guess work out of it for me! Now I can perform full boils utilizing my 7.5 gallon kettle and not tie up my wife's gladware making ice blocks.

Back