Immediate Help please - AG Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJM

Reaction score
I just mashed in on 11 lbs of grain. For some reason BS told me to use 11 qts of water and I did not notice the problem until I had already mixed the water in and saw how thick the mash was. For some reason (sure it is user error) BS told my to use 1 qt to 1 lb ratio rather than 1.25 to 1. Will this mess up my efficiency? Should I do anything at this point or just RDWHAHB? Thanks.

I just mashed in on 11 lbs of grain. For some reason BS told me to use 11 qts of water and I did not notice the problem until I had already mixed the water in and saw how thick the mash was. For some reason (sure it is user error) BS told my to use 1 qt to 1 lb ratio rather than 1.25 to 1. Will this mess up my efficiency? Should I do anything at this point or just RDWHAHB? Thanks.

It's an "ok" amount, but you could add more water if you feel that the mash feels too thick to stir well, especially if you have a false bottom with lots of dead space under it.

Anywhere from 1-2 quarts of water per pound of grain is fine.

Do you have enough water ready for your sparge? Since it's lacking in the mash, you'll have to make it up in the sparge. You're going to get less than 1.5 gallons out of the mash, if you only used 11 quarts of water in it. If your boil volume is 6.5 gallons, for example, that means sparging with 5 gallons!

No false bottom and I was able to get it mixed well and get all the dough balls out. I plan on doing a mash out with 7.7 qts of water and will them sparge with 4.9 gallons. I need 8 gallons in the kettle to end up with 5 in the keg. Does that sound like it will work out? Thanks for putting my mind at ease a bit.

No false bottom and I was able to get it mixed well and get all the dough balls out. I plan on doing a mash out with 7.7 qts of water and will them sparge with 4.9 gallons. I need 8 gallons in the kettle to end up with 5 in the keg. Does that sound like it will work out? Thanks for putting my mind at ease a bit.

Owww, my head! Math in the morning. :p

let's see, you'll get about 1.4 gallons from the mash, due to grainbed absorption. Mashing out with 7.7 quarts will give you another 2 gallons (or darn near). That's 3.4 gallons. You'll need 4.6 gallons of sparge at a minimum. So yes, I think you've got it!

Great. Thanks Yooper. Sorry for taxing your brain so early in the morning but better you than me as you can see from my problem. BTW, I have your DFH 60 clone in the secondary now and will be racking it to keg in a day or two. Can't wait to taste it.

Back