Immediate Airlock Bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeezyBrew

Reaction score
I have been brewing for over a year now, and I'm on about my 25th batch or so. I just finished my brew day, making an American Pale Ale. Everything about the brew went well, hit my normal 76% efficiency, nailed my expected bG, and was within a couple points of my target OG. I cooled my wort to around 63 degrees before pitching my yeast, oxygenated, sealed up my primary and put in my typical 3 piece airlock. Immediately the airlock started bubbling every few seconds. In all the brews I've done before, I can't recall ever seeing the airlock start bubbling right away. Normally it takes hours before I notice a single bubble.

Is there any significance to this? Has anyone experienced this? And was it a bad experience or did everything go normally?

Thanks...

Current batches:
Primary: Unnamed APA
Primary: Chocoberry Stout
Secondary: Angry Banana Porter
Bottle Conditioning: Home Grown Bomber (IRA - India Red Ale)

Thanks guys. I figured it was nothing to worry about but I thought I would just check with others to see if anyone had experienced this. Thanks again.

This also happened to me for the first time since brew beer.
I suppose that's not a sign that the wort is contaminated with some wild yeast?

This also happened to me for the first time since brew beer.
I suppose that's not a sign that the wort is contaminated with some wild yeast?

No - wild yeast, like the yeast we pitch, need time to ferment (eat) before they produce gasses (namely, CO2), and since any possible infected wort would have far fewer wild yeast cells than the yeast cells we pitch, it would take even longer for them to produce CO2, at least in a measurable sense.

Back