I'm scaling 5.5 gal recipe to 2.5 full boil. Help pls with mash volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnbrain

Reaction score
I really like my very first recipe, an Oatmeal Stout. In the recipe I collected 4 gallons of wort from about 4 lbs of grain. I actually intended to do less but that's what I wound up with after sparging.

If I scale the bill with brewtarget, will collecting about 3.6 gallons of pre-boil wort with no kettle top-off drastically affect the flavor profile with too thin a mash?

Brian

I should have been more clear. It's a mini-mash/extract brew and this would be full boil compared to my 5.5 gallon batches which are partial boils. I'm wondering if the flavor profile will be significantly different because I want to have a tasting party in the fall.

If I should expect differences, I'll just scale the recipe as a partial boil.

If I scale the bill with brewtarget, will collecting about 3.6 gallons of pre-boil wort with no kettle top-off drastically affect the flavor profile with too thin a mash?

There is some risk to over sparging - possibly extracting tannins. Why don't you just mash with the correct ratio, sparge as normal, then top off your kettle with more water before you boil? That's a partial mash full boil.

Thanks. Sounds like a good idea. I just really like the recipe as it is. Normally I'd brew a full 5.5 gallons but the thought of bottling 15 gallons of beer sound horrible and I'm not kegging yet. My wife suggested i showcase 3 brews.

I decided to do a 2.5 gallon batch all-grain full boil. It will be my first, but I can't imagine the flavor being drastically different. Hecl, it should taste better right?

One question though. Should I check my pre-boil gravity in order to adjust my hops accordingly? I think I am getting better efficiency than I use in my recipe. Or just hop based on the recipe. I doubt the two will be far apart on such a small batch.

Back